As a result of that risk, more than 6 million of the devices have been recalled. They were sold in either the United States or Canada. Some probably were purchased by residents of the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, area.
The recall was prompted by more than two dozen reports of melting and overheating. In addition to 13 property damage claims, two injuries were reported due to the issue. Those individuals reported suffering minor burns.
The recall specifically pertains to laptop power cords that were sold between September 2010, and June 2012. Those who have the LS-15 power cords can get replacement cords.
It is fortunate the injuries suffered as a result of the power cord overheating were not more serious. Burns can be extremely painful and the recovery period can be long. In addition, scars can remain long after the initial injury, providing a constant reminder of the incident.
When someone is hurt as a result of a defective product, they may be able to recoup damages for their injuries. This is true regardless of whether the defect is with the design or manufacture of the product. For the best result it is important to contact a lawyer sooner rather than later.
Source: Tech Times, “HP yanks 6 million laptop power cords, citing potential fire hazard,” Joseph Mayton, Aug. 27, 2014