Cynthia C. BergerFounding Partner
Cynthia C. Berger graduated from the University of Pittsburgh with her bachelor’s degree in 1972. She then went on to earn her Juris Doctor from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law in 1975. Ms. Berger began her legal career as a staff attorney working for the Judges at the Pittsburgh Social Security Office of Hearing and Appeals. She left the Office of Hearing and Appeals to become a founding partner of the law firm of Berger and Green, P.C., representing disabled individuals throughout Western Pennsylvania and surrounding areas in Social Security Disability (SSD) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) claims.
Attorney Berger has assessed over 50,000 Social Security disability claims in the tri-state area during the course of her career. Because of Ms. Berger’s experience and expertise in Social Security disability cases, she is often invited to lecture on a variety of topics concerning Social Security disability. She has lectured at conventions of the National Organization of Social Security Claimants Representatives (NOSSCR), the Pennsylvania Bar Association (PBA), the Federal Bar Association (FBA), the National Business Institute (NBI) and the Allegheny County Bar Association (ACBA).
For more than 40 years, Attorney Berger has established a respected reputation for representing people who are no longer able to work due to their disabilities. Ms. Berger is an experienced Pennsylvania Social Security disability attorney who other attorneys turn to for advice and knowledge. Attorney Berger understands the difficulties an individual faces when they are no longer able to work due to their conditions. She is aware of the complexity of a Social Security disability case and works hard to make this process easier on her clients so they can ultimately focus on their health.
Ms. Berger is licensed to practice in all Pennsylvania State and Federal Courts and in any Social Security Court throughout the United States, as well as in the United States Supreme Court. Attorney Berger is the Chairperson of the ACBA Social Security Practitioners Committee and a Fellow of the Allegheny County Bar Foundation.
Attorney Berger is a past president of the National Organization of Social Security Claimants Representatives (NOSSCR). With over 4,000 members, NOSSCR is the largest group of attorneys advocating for the rights of claimant’s trying to receive Social Security disability benefits. Ms. Berger has been a leader for NOSCCR for several years. As president, Attorney Berger worked with the Social Security Administration and Congress to resolve current backlogs and issues that impact the disability determination process.
Attorney Berger is an active member in the legal community. She is a member of many professional organizations including NOSSCR, the American Bar Association (ABA), the American Association for Justice (AAJ), the Pennsylvania Association for Justice (PAJ) and the Western Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association (WPTLA). Ms. Berger is also a 2011-present Pennsylvania Super Lawyer. As a Super Lawyer, attorney Berger represents the top five percent of all lawyers in Pennsylvania. Ms. Berger is also a Martindale Hubbell AV rated attorney. This is the highest level of professionalism an attorney may be rated by their peers.
Clients appreciate Attorney Berger’s compassion, preparation, concern, and attention to detail in their cases. Ms. Berger is a hardworking and driven attorney who fights hard for her clients.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Social Security Disability (SSD)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- J.D. – 1975
- University of Pittsburgh
- B.A. – 1972
- Lecture, Social Security Disability, National Organization of Social Security Claimants Representatives
- Lecture, Social Security Disability, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Lecture, Social Security Disability, Federal Bar Association
- Lecture, Social Security Disability, National Business Institute
- Lecture, Social Security Disability, Allegheny County Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, Allegheny County Bar Foundation
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, Social Security 2011-2022
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Chairperson
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Pennsylvania Association For Justice (PaAJ), Member
- Western Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- NOSSCR, Treasurer, 2010 – 2011
- NOSSCR, Secretary, 2011 – 2012
- NOSSCR, President, 2013 – 2014
- NOSSCR, Board of Directors, 2004-2016
Past Employment Positions
- Pittsburgh Social Security Office of Hearings and Appeals, Staff Attorney