- Pittsburgh Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers Here to Serve You
- Falls Often Occur Because of Property Owner Negligence
- Let Berger and Green Fight for the Damages You Deserve
- We Will Prove Who Is Liable for Your Pittsburgh Slip and Fall Accident
- You Also May Qualify for Disability Benefits If You Cannot Work
- Recoverable Damages in a Slip and Fall Case in Pittsburgh, PA
Pittsburgh Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers Here to Serve You
If you suffered injuries in a fall on someone else’s property, you might have the right to pursue compensation for your damages. A Pittsburgh slip and fall accident lawyer at Berger and Green can review your case for free and determine if the property is at fault. Berger and Green has more than 40 years of experience fighting for the rights of people injured in Pittsburgh personal injury accidents.
Not only will our Pittsburgh personal injury lawyers evaluate your case for free, but we also handle these cases on a contingency fee basis. You pay no attorney’s fees or costs unless we make a recovery for you. Call us today to get started with a complimentary consultation with a member of our team.
For a free legal consultation with a Slip and Fall Accident lawyer serving Pittsburgh, call 412-661-1400
Falls Often Occur Because of Property Owner Negligence
Premises liability laws allow us to hold some property owners and occupiers liable after certain types of fall injuries on their property. This applies to:
- Residential, single-family properties
- Residential, multi-family properties such as apartment buildings
- Businesses, including restaurants and shops
- Property owned by townships and municipalities, such as parks
If there was a hazard on the property that the owner knew about (or should have known about), you may have a case for compensation. These dangerous conditions may include:
- A spill in the walkway
- An object or another trip hazard in the walkway
- Uneven floors or sidewalks
- Torn carpet or broken tile
- Poor lighting
- Uneven stairs
- Broken or missing handrails
- Ice and snow accumulations
- Holes or potholes
If you suffered injuries in a slip and fall accident in Pittsburgh that any of these hazards caused, or if a hazard is not listed here, we can review your case for free. Reach out to the slip and fall accident & injury lawyers in Pittsburgh, PA, today to get started.
The Ongoing Costs of Slip and Fall Injuries
An accidental fall can temporarily or permanently limit your physical mobility and/or alter your appearance. According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) research and statistics:
- Falls can lead to costly broken bones, head injuries, and hip fractures
- More than 800,000 patients are hospitalized annually due to falls
- Accidental falls are the primary cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
Fall-related medical care costs billions of dollars each year nationally. This number does not include the costs of lost productivity. The severity of your injuries will dictate your current and future medical care. They will also determine how much time your injuries force you to miss work.
Pittsburgh Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer Near Me 412-661-1400
Let Berger and Green Fight for the Damages You Deserve
The team from Berger and Green can help you understand your rights and your options for pursuing damages following a Pittsburgh slip and fall injury. We know how to build a solid case to prove negligence and liability and go after the compensation you deserve. If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a Pittsburgh fall, our team is here for you.
Before you can pursue a slip and fall accident lawsuit, you must prove the other party is liable for the accident and your related injuries. If undertake representation, we will investigate your slip and fall accident. This may include:
- Interviewing eyewitnesses and documenting their accounts about what happened
- Obtaining and reviewing available video footage of the incident
- Photographing the scene where the fall occurred
- Collecting police reports and other evidence (e.g., your medical records, incident reports)
- Documenting your related expenses and losses
Our slip and fall accident and injury lawyers in Pittsburgh, PA, will also go to work immediately, protecting your rights and handling all communications about your case. You can count on us to keep you up to date about what is happening in your case and what to expect next. Call us today to get started during a free legal consultation.
We Will Prove Who Is Liable for Your Pittsburgh Slip and Fall Accident
Besides proving that an owner was aware of a situation or should have been aware of a situation on the property or establishment, our legal team also must prove the condition was either a) foreseeable or b) existed for enough time for the owner to find it and fix it. Proving this can be challenging if you do not have the evidence to show how long the hazard was present, but this is where we come in. We will conduct an investigation before identifying the negligent parties in your case.
We can collect evidence to help prove your case if it is available, such as surveillance camera footage that shows what happened or photographs of the unsafe conditions at the site where you fell. Other evidence we could use includes:
- Property maintenance records
- Incident reports
- Company policies and procedures
- Witness statements
- Employee schedules
- Torn clothing, shoes, or other physical evidence
You Must Show How the Hazard Caused Your Accident
We must prove how the conditions at the property caused your injuries. We encourage you to see a doctor soon if you have not done so already. It is possible the property owner can say you were injured before you visited the property. Documentation of prompt medical treatment can help bolster your claim that your injury occurred as a result of your slip and fall on the owner’s property.
The Four Elements of Negligence Cases
When we investigate your accident, we will look for the four elements that will determine if negligence occurred. They are:
- Duty of care. Did the liable party have a legal obligation to act reasonably to protect you from harm?
- Breach of duty. Did the liable party’s actions or inactions prevent them from meeting their duty of care?
- Causation. Did this breach cause your slip and fall accident in Pittsburgh and injuries?
- Damages. Did you suffer compensatory damages and losses because of this accident? These losses can be physical, emotional, or financial. We will review every loss and assign a dollar amount to the ones without a fixed value.
If we can answer “yes” to all these questions, it means negligence occurred and that you have a claim for your damages with the party responsible for the accident. We will pursue the maximum compensation we can for your injuries. We will take care of your entire case while your recover from the accident.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
You Also May Qualify for Disability Benefits If You Cannot Work
If the injuries you sustained are severe enough to prevent you from working for a year or more, you may qualify for benefits from Social Security Disability. We can help you understand the requirements for these benefits and even help you file your claim.
We also can review a claim denial you received from the Social Security Administration (SSA) and advise you on your next steps. Call or text us today to learn more.
Recoverable Damages in a Slip and Fall Case in Pittsburgh, PA
If you get a settlement or verdict in your Pittsburgh slip and fall case, it will consist of compensation to cover your accident-related damages. These include expenses and losses you endured because of the accident and your injuries.
In addition to your economic expenses, you can also recover compensation for your non-economic damages. There is no definitive price tag on these damages, but we can estimate a value based on the cost of treatment, the severity of your injuries, and other factors.
While they vary from case to case, some of the most common types of damages available in a Pittsburgh premises liability case include:
- Medical expenses
- Ongoing rehabilitation care costs
- Lost income and other earnings
- Diminished earning capacity
- Out-of-pocket related costs
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Emotional distress
- Loss of the enjoyment of life
- Loss of companionship
- Humiliation and embarrassment
Wrongful Death Damages
If your loved one passed away because of injuries sustained in a premises liability accident, you might be eligible to file a wrongful death lawsuit to pursue additional damages for your family.
These can include:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of financial contributions
- Loss of household contributions
- Loss of consortium and society
Our Pittsburgh slip and fall accident lawyer will explain the specific damages your family can assert. We also make sure you are aware of the wrongful death statute of limitations and which family members can request compensation. Call or text us today to learn more.
Pennsylvania Law Sets a Strict Time Limit on Slip and Fall Cases
Pennsylvania law gives us only two years from the date of your fall to take legal action against the property owner or occupier, per Pa. C.S.A. § 5524. If we miss this deadline, the court will likely stop us from taking any legal action, such as filing a personal injury lawsuit in your case. This could prevent us from recovering compensation for your damages.
Call or text us as soon as possible after a fall so we can review your case and go to work on our investigation. If you are in the hospital, have a trusted family member give us a call. We can meet you at the hospital or at your home. Let us get started building a case for you today.
Pittsburgh Slip and Fall Injury FAQs
Whether you slipped and fell in a private residence or sustained injuries in a public place like a grocery store, you’ll have numerous questions about where to go from here. Filing a claim for compensation can be confusing, but we’re here to help and provide you with answers.
Where do Most Slip and Fall Accidents Occur?
Wherever a dangerous hazard can potentially be present, a slip and fall accident can occur. These environments can either be public or private. Examples of places where slip and fall accidents can occur include:
- Private residences: Slips and falls often happen at home among residents and visitors and could occur from anything ranging from icy or greasy driveways, backyard poolsides, stairs with faulty handrails, and items strewn about the floor.
- Public sidewalks: With foot traffic, public sidewalks can get plenty of wear and tear, leading to worn-out paving, cracks, and chipped-off pieces. These can increase the risk of slips, trips, and falls.
- Commercial locations: Places like grocery, drug, and department stores are very common for slip and fall accidents. Shelves are often stocked with breakable merchandise, which can result in spilled foods, liquids, lotions, paper, and other materials that are easy to slip on. When stores are crowded, the slip and fall potential increases.
- Government buildings: Yes, even government buildings can become slip and fall hazards. These places also often have heavy foot traffic and sometimes naturally slick tile flooring. Noticing a spilled liquid or freshly mopped floor can be difficult.
How Much Can I Get from a Pittsburgh Slip and Fall Lawsuit?
You might be considering a lawsuit if you or a loved one fell victim to a slip and fall. You will be looking for a way to pursue compensation, especially for severe injuries. But how much can you get from a slip and fall lawsuit? It depends.
There is no average settlement amount for slip and fall cases, as many factors go into determining each case’s unique value. No two circumstances are exactly alike. The only way to find out how much you could expect to receive for your specific case is to work with a personal injury attorney.
Our Pittsburgh slip and fall injury lawyers have experience in offering legal representation for cases like these. We know how to determine the value of your injuries and how to go up against major retailers and their legal resources if necessary. Because we work on contingency, you pay nothing in attorney’s fees unless we win your case.
How Long Will It Take to Settle My Slip and Fall Case?
No two slip and fall cases are exactly alike, so no formula can tell you exactly how long it will take for your case to be resolved. When we represent you during the negotiation process, we will:
- Carefully evaluate your case’s value
- Accept and review each settlement offer
- Weigh each offer’s benefits and drawbacks
- Help you reach a well-informed decision
- Explain the finality of a signed agreement
- Help you avoid an unfavorable settlement
A settlement agreement can be reached at any point up until a verdict is given if your case goes to trial. Our goal during the negotiation process is to ensure you get the best possible outcome for your case.
We will work to ensure you get the legal support you need. We will also make sure your lawsuit is filed on time if settlement negotiations are prolonged or if an acceptable settlement is not forthcoming.
We Never Stop Fighting for the Injured Clients We Represent
From our first meeting until we resolve your case, our entire staff makes sure you get the support you need, and your case gets the attention to detail it needs. Our previous personal injury clients say the following:
- Eileen Karras: Berger and Green law firm helped me so much. Every time I called I actually talked to a live person…As soon as I signed on with Berger and Green, things were happening quickly and efficiently. I highly recommend this law firm…I couldn’t have asked for a better result!!
- Julia Garcia: My experience with Berger and Green was so refreshing. Extremely efficient and professional. Aside from addressing my issue, I was given additional resourceful information to assist me in the future…Clearly a 5+ star rating for this business.
Every aspect of your case is an important part of the final resolution we achieve. Our slip and fall team members work hard for every client we represent from start to finish.
Talk to the Team for a Slip and Fall Accident & Injury Lawyer in Pittsburgh, PA
If you suffered injuries in a trip and fall, slip and fall, or other fall incidents in Pittsburgh, PA, the team from Berger and Green can help you pursue compensation for your medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and more. We can review your case and build a solid argument to support a payout. Let us try to negotiate an out-of-court settlement or win a verdict in court on your behalf.
Call or text our Pittsburgh office today. Discuss your case with one of our slip and fall accident & injury lawyers in Pittsburgh, PA, and we can evaluate your case for free today.