Our personal injury lawyers are passionate about helping injured people in their times of need. We know how painful, confusing, and overwhelming an accident can be, and we are here to eliminate some your burden. It is difficult — if not impossible — for victims to get what they deserve from insurance companies without having a lawyer advocate for them.
That is where we come in. A personal injury lawyer representing people in McKeesport from Berger and Green can help you through the entire personal injury claims process, from filing paperwork and proving liability to working with the insurance company and maximizing your recovery.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, we invite you to call Berger and Green for a free, informative consultation with one of our personal injury lawyers. During our talk, we will listen to your story, answer any questions you may have, and explain what your legal options are. Contact us today at 412-661-1400.
How do I know if my claim is valid?
Personal injury claims provide people with an opportunity to pursue financial compensation for their losses and expenses when they sustain injuries caused by others.
For a free legal consultation with a lawyer serving Mckeesport, call (412) 661-1400
What factors must be established to have a valid claim?
Each personal injury case is unique, but there are several elements that all claimants must be able to establish to have a valid claim:
- Duty of care: The person or business that caused your injury must have owed you a duty of care, i.e., to act in a way that prevents undue harm to others. For example, manufacturers owe their consumers a duty to manufacture safe products, just like drivers owe everyone on the road a duty to drive safely.
- Breach of duty: The liable party (defendant) must have somehow breached his/her duty. This is called negligence. A doctor may be negligent if s/he ordered the wrong prescription, for example. Similarly, a driver would be negligent if s/he drove while intoxicated.
- Causation: You must also show that your injuries were a direct result of the defendant’s negligence. For example, you can satisfy causation by establishing that your injuries arose from the incorrect prescription your doctor ordered, and you would not have sustained the injuries otherwise.
- Damages: Finally, to have a viable personal injury case, you must have sustained actual injuries and economic losses, demonstrable with things such as medical records, bills, and receipts.
Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me (412) 661-1400
What kinds of cases can Berger and Green help with?
No matter how you were injured or what type of accident you were in, if someone else is liable for your injuries, Berger and Green can help. Our team of qualified attorneys and support staff can assist with all types of personal injury and wrongful death cases in McKeesport, including:
- Auto accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Elevator, escalator, and other accidents in buildings
- Injuries from defective products or dangerous drugs
- Swimming pool accidents
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Labor and delivery mistakes
- Construction site and other industrial accidents
- Injuries at playgrounds, parks, and daycares
- Abuse and assault victims
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Burn injuries
How do I know my settlement is fair?
With a personal injury case, you might be entitled to compensation for your physical, financial, and emotional losses related to your accident.
While every case is different, there are three main type of damages that are compensable in a personal injury case. Before accepting a settlement, make sure it covers the following:
Economic damages: Also referred to as special damages, economic damages encompass all of the easily quantifiable financial losses and expenses that resulted from your accident. These can include:
- Medical bills
- Transportation expenses
- Loss of wages
- Loss of benefits
- Hiring housekeepers, nannies, or landscapers
- Modifying your home to accommodate a disability
Noneconomic damages: Noneconomic damages, or general damages, are the intangible harms you sustained that do not have a fixed dollar value.
This includes pain and suffering, the pain of disfigurement and scarring, emotional disorders like post-traumatic stress disorder, the emotional impact of a catastrophic injury on your marriage and family, and decreased quality of life.
The severity of your injuries will determine the amount of noneconomic damages you can recover.
Punitive damages: While punitive damages are rare, if the defendant’s conduct was particularly malicious or outrageous you might consider requesting these damages. Juries do not award these damages to compensate you for your actual losses, but rather to punish the defendant for wrongdoing and deter future misconduct. Our team will investigate your case and let you know if punitive damages might be applicable in your case.
We will take the time to understand the extent of your injuries, what types of long-term effects you might be dealing with, and how your accident is affecting your and your family’s lives. Our personal injury attorneys in Mckeesport, PA will talk to experts such as medical and financial experts so that we can accurately account for the totality of your losses. This way, we can demand full and fair damages on your behalf from the appropriate insurer(s).
If your settlement does not totally cover what your injury has cost you, we will negotiate with the insurer or take it to court if necessary.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What should I look for in a personal injury lawyer for my McKeesport accident?
Selecting the right personal injury lawyer to represent you is probably the single most important aspect of your case. With so many firms out there, how do you know which to choose?
When looking for a personal injury attorney, opt for one that:
- Has experience handling your type of case
- Is well qualified and highly credentialed
- Has obvious determination and resolve to fight for maximum compensation for you
- Can show you a history of successful cases
- Has clear fee policies
Note: It is important to consult an attorney as soon as possible after an accident, because there is a state-mandated deadline on when you can file a claim. If you overstep the two-year time limit, your claim will be invalid.
If you reside in McKeesport, consider Berger and Green as your choice personal injury firm. Feel free to read over some of our attorney profiles, client testimonials, and recent case results. We encourage you to call our office and schedule a free meeting to learn more about us and how we can help you with your personal injury case. Call 412-661-1400 today.