If you are cooking on your range or cooktop and a fire occurs, try and contain the fire by covering it with a lid. Make sure when covering the pot you are using pot holders or oven mitts. Once the lid is on, remove the pot from the burner it was on. The lack of oxygen will put the fire out. If you do not have access to a lid, use a fire extinguisher and aim for the base of the fire not the flames.

When a fire occurs inside of your oven or microwave, do not open the door. Turn the appliance off; again, the lack of oxygen will suffocate the fire.

For a free legal consultation, call (412) 661-1400

If a grease fire erupts in your kitchen, you have to handle it differently. First and foremost, do not throw water on it, as it will repel against the grease possibly spreading the fire to areas where the grease has splashed. Try throwing baking soda or salt on the fire. If the fire is manageable, cover it with a lid or a wet towel.

Never try and use anything such as clothing or dry towels to put out a fire. Swatting at the flames with any article, may make the fire spread. Always be alert and focused while cooking and never leave appliances unattended. Make sure you are paying attention to cooking temperatures and have timers set.

To protect yourself and family from kitchen fires, keep a fire extinguisher in your home. Also make sure your home is equipped with fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. If a fire does occur in your home and you cannot contain it, call 911 and evacuate your home immediately.

Source: NFPA’s, “Cooking safety tips”

Call or text (412) 661-1400 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form