A serious car accident can be very traumatic and overwhelming. There are a lot issues that you need to deal with, such as medical care, emotional shock, auto repairs, insurance claims, and finding a way to pay for bills if you have to take time off work to recuperate.
If you or your loved one was recently involved in an accident, a Beaver County car accident lawyer at Berger and Green is here to help. We are a full-service firm that can assist with all aspects of a car accident case, from helping you find a rental car to negotiating with the insurance company on your behalf. Contact us today for a free consultation to see how we can help you collect compensation for your accident: 412-661-1400.
Why It Is Essential to Talk to a Lawyer Before You File a Claim
Insurance companies are a for-profit business. The agents may seem caring, but the company’s primary goal is to generate profit, not pay out large sums of money. There are a lot of tactics they use to reduce the value of or deny claims. They might try to:
- pin some or all the fault on you;
- say your injuries are less severe than they really are; or
- push you to settle too early before you have a clear picture of the full value of your claim.
And because most people are just not aware of their rights or exactly what the claims process entails, insurers can easily pull the wool over claimants’ eyes.
It is in your best interest to educate yourself before filing any claims or taking legal action. You cannot retract recorded statements or un-sign a settlement offer if you later realize your injuries are more severe than you thought.
To protect your rights, we will review your case, talk to the insurance company for you, help you avoid common mistakes that hurt people’s claims, and explain how best to move forward to maximize your compensation.
What steps should I take after a car accident?
After tending to your immediate medical needs, there are several things you need to do:
- Call the police and ask for a copy of the police report.
- Take down the other driver’s information, as well as the name and contact information of any witnesses that saw the accident.
- Take photos of the damage to the cars, the accident scene, and injuries.
- Call a lawyer for counsel on how to move forward to initiate the accident claim.
- Make sure your doctor notes that your injuries arose from the accident, and adhere to whatever treatments she gives you.
- Keep all bills and receipts related to the accident and your injuries, and document your lost wages.
- Use a daily journal to document your injuries, pain levels, efficacy of treatments, and how your injuries are affecting your daily life.
What types of damages can I recover after a car accident?
When you file a car accident claim, you can recover various types of losses, depending on the insurance policies involved and the details of your accident:
- Medical expenses: You can recover your medical expenses under your medical benefits coverage, as well as against the at-fault driver’s bodily injury liability (BIL). Minimum medical benefits coverage is $5,000 and the minimum BIL coverage is $15,000 per person/$30,000 per accident. You can recover up to that amount for your medical expenses or more if the policyholder has extra coverage.
- Property damage: You can also recover your property damages losses under either your own collision coverage (if you carry it), or under the at-fault driver’s property damage liability coverage.
- Loss of income: If you must miss time from work because of your injuries or sustain a temporary or permanent disability, you may be entitled to loss of income coverage, as well. If you were at fault, you can recover under your own income loss benefits (if you carry it), or by filing a claim against the at-fault driver.
- Pain and suffering: If you have full tort coverage, you can also file a claim against the other driver for pain and suffering.
- Incidentals: You may able to recover various additional expenses, as well, such as towing expenses, the cost of hiring help around the house, rental car expenses, etc. It is unlikely that the insurer will offer you compensation for these. We will ensure you get it.
Insurance is complex; it involves a lot of fine print. We will review the policies and explain exactly what you are eligible for. We will also make sure to account for the full value of your current and future losses so that the insurer awards you appropriately.
Why should I choose Berger and Green to help with my car accident case?
Berger and Green has helped thousands of Pennsylvania car accident victims with all types of accidents. We have handled cases involving drunk drivers, pedestrians, bicyclists, semi-trucks, buses, texting and driving, uninsured drivers, defective cars, and fatalities, to name a few. Our highly-qualified team has the skills and resources to facilitate even the most challenging cases.
At our firm, our clients’ well-being is what drives us. We fight to recover the highest settlement possible so that they get the care they need and provide for their families. In fact, four of our lawyers are members of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, a prestigious organization of trial lawyers who have won million or multi-million dollar settlements or verdicts for their clients.
When you work with us, you will have a trustworthy, caring team advocating for your best interests and taking care all the legal issues so that you can focus on getting better.
We encourage you to peruse our site and learn more about us. Our recent cases and client testimonials demonstrate our dedication and success. Call us today 412-661-1400 to speak to someone about your case.