Automobile Insurance vs. Health Insurance After a Car Accident

For a free legal consultation, call (412) 661-1400

Automobile Insurance vs. Health Insurance After a Car Accident

When you have been involved in an automobile accident, you may be wondering who will pay for your medical treatment. If you have both automobile insurance and health insurance, it is important to know where to turn first.

If you sustained injuries in an automobile accident, the first thing you need to do is seek treatment. When seeking treatment, it is important to tell the medical personnel to open a claim with your automobile insurance since you were injured in an automobile accident. You should also contact your automobile insurance agent or claim’s office so that they will have a file open when the bills arrive. Opening a claim means that all billable services will be billed to your automobile insurance rather than your health insurance. An advantage to you is that there will be no co-payments or deductibles charged when you use your automobile insurance.

When an automobile accident occurs, you must provide the proper claim information to your treatment providers. Whether you are a driver or a passenger, the medical expenses will be billed to your own automobile insurance, even if the automobile accident was not your fault. Pennsylvania is a modified no fault state which means when you are injured in an automobile accident, each injured person will turn to their own automobile insurance company to seek payment of their own medical bills. The same process will apply regardless of whether you personally obtained insurance, or it is provided by an employer or government program.

Once a claim is opened, your automobile insurance will pay for your first party medical expenses until you have reached the limits you purchased. The amount of coverage will depend on an individual’s specific policy. In Pennsylvania you must have at least $5,000.00 in medical coverage. If your treatment exceeds the limit you purchased, your health insurance will begin to pay for your medical bills.

If you are not at fault for the automobile accident you may file a personal injury clam to pay for damages such as pain and suffering, wage loss and out of pocket medical expenses. If you are successful at making a recovery, you may owe your health insurance money back for the medical expenses they paid on your behalf. The determination of whether your insurer is entitled to be paid back is a question that we at Berger and Green can help with.

Recovering compensation after an automobile accident.

If you or a loved one were injured in an automobile accident, contact the personal injury attorneys at Berger and Green. Our attorneys will provide you with a free no-obligation consultation to evaluate your case. Call 412-661-1400 to speak with an attorney today.

Since the insurance process can be rather complex, it is always beneficial to have a personal injury attorney working on your case. The attorneys at Berger and Green will make sure your claim and medical bills are being processed correctly.


Call or text (412) 661-1400 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form