When someone has been involved in an accident involving a tractor-trailer or a large truck, the aftermath can be devastating. Because of the size and weight of these vehicles, victims suffer serious and sometimes fatal injuries.
The study says that each year, the number of trucks on roadways has continued to increase as well as the miles they need to drive.
The study used three years of data regarding fatal crashes involving tractor-trailers and other vehicles weighing over 10,000 pounds.
The study found the following information regarding Pennsylvania:
- Pennsylvania ranked fifth in the nation for the highest number of fatal truck accidents from 2015-2017.
- Pennsylvania ranked first in the nation for fatal underride crashes. This is when a passenger vehicle slides under the back or sides of a large truck or trailer.
- I-95, which connects to the Pennsylvania Turnpike near Philadelphia, is the third most fatal road in the nation for trucking crashes.
Learn how you can do your part to safely drive around these large vehicles.
- When traveling behind a tractor-trailer, stay at least six car lengths behind. The size and weight of these vehicles causes a longer stopping distance for them. It is important to give them space.
- Make sure your car is visible to tractor-trailers. You can move your vehicle slightly to the left of the lane and turn your lights on when approaching from behind. This will help the driver see you in their mirror.
- Always use your turn signals when passing a tractor-trailer.
- Be prepared and avoid all distractions. Focus and patience are key when sharing the road with tractor-trailers.
Most of the time, a truck driver will be represented by the company they work for and the insurer of the vehicle. These individuals, companies and corporations have attorneys on their behalf to represent them in these types of matters. That is why it is important to contact an experienced personal injury attorney if you were injured in an accident cased by a truck driver.
Recovering compensation after an accident.
For a free legal consultation, call 412-661-1400
If you or someone you know has been seriously injured in an accident, it is important to contact a personal injury attorney to review your rights. An attorney can help you seek compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Let us help you recover the compensation you need after an injury. Call Berger and Green at 412-661-1400 to schedule a free consultation with a car accident lawyer in Pittsburgh today.
Source: AZbigmedia.com, “Tips for driving safely around trucks.”