If you were hurt by a defective product, the physical, emotional, and financial effects can be long-lasting. While no amount of money can make it right, a fair financial settlement allows you to hold the responsible party accountable for their negligence and may help you move on with your life. Berger and Green is ready to answer your questions about how our Erie product liability lawyer may be able to help you get the compensation you deserve.
What Is a Product Liability Case?
A product liability case is a legal case in which the consumer seeks compensation from a product’s manufacturer, distributor, or another responsible party after sustaining an injury caused by the defective product. Almost any type of product can be defective, from vape pens to laptop batteries to medications. The injury must be caused by a problem with the product itself, not from misuse by the consumer.
For example, in June 2022, an Erie County man suffered severe burns after his vape pen battery exploded in his pocket. ABC 27 reports that the burns affected more than 90% of the man’s leg, requiring weeks of burn treatment that he has yet to complete. A defective vape battery caused these injuries, and the manufacturer of this product may be liable.
Manufacturers have an obligation to design and test their products to ensure that they are safe for consumer use. Product liability cases are based on products that injured consumers because they:
- Were defectively designed
- Were defectively manufactured
- Lacked adequate safety warnings
- Lacked adequate instructions for safe use
For a free legal consultation with a Product Liability lawyer serving Erie, call 412-661-1400
Financial Compensation in a Product Liability Case
You need to know how much your case is worth before you can pursue damages from the responsible parties. An Erie personal injury lawyer who has handled other product liability cases can assess your case and estimate how much financial compensation you deserve. Each case is different, and more severe injuries generally produce larger settlements or verdict awards. You may be able to recover damages for:
- Medical expenses for emergency care, follow-up treatment, diagnostic imaging, surgery, and prescription medications
- Ongoing medical care for continued care such as physical or occupational therapy and assistance with tasks of daily living or for future treatments such as surgery or other procedures your doctor anticipates you will require
- Loss of income for your salary, wages, tips, or other income that you lose because you cannot work while you recover
- Future loss of income if your injuries keep you from returning to your previous position or from working at all
- Pain and suffering if you become disfigured, disabled, suffer emotional trauma, or have a reduced quality of life
- Wrongful death if you incur expenses or future financial losses because your loved one was killed by a defective product
Erie Product Liability Lawyer Near Me 412-661-1400
What a Product Liability Lawyer Can Do for You
Our Erie, PA, product liability attorney will advocate for your best interests with the product manufacturer, distributor, and their insurance companies. You might feel like David fighting Goliath if you try to seek compensation from large corporations all by yourself, but you can feel confident with our lawyer by your side. We will:
- Investigate your claim: We can gather evidence that the product was defective, that its defects caused your injuries, and that the manufacturer, distributor, or both were negligent in allowing the product onto the market.
- Estimate your damages: We will use your medical bills and records, pictures of your injuries, evidence of your previous income, expert testimony, and interviews with you, your family, and your friends to substantiate our estimate of your total losses.
- Handle the paperwork: We will gather supporting documents such as your medical records, bills, past wage statements, and tax returns and use them to file an insurance claim on your behalf. We will also communicate with the insurance companies and keep written records of that communication.
- Negotiate a settlement: Businesses want to avoid the negative publicity of a trial, so they typically prefer to settle out of court. We can negotiate a settlement that provides you with fair compensation for your losses.
- Sue the responsible parties: Sometimes, the responsible parties refuse to agree on a reasonable settlement. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit against the product manufacturer, distributor, and any other at-fault parties to get you the compensation you deserve.
File Your Product Liability Lawsuit Before Time Runs Out
Pa. C.S.A. § 5524 establishes the statute of limitations for personal injury at two years. This law means that you have two years from the date you were injured to file a lawsuit for personal injury. If you lost a loved one because of a defective product, you have two years from the date they passed away to sue.
If the product’s manufacturer deliberately concealed the defect, the statute of limitations may extend beyond two years. We can help you determine the timeline of your case, investigate whether the manufacturer fraudulently concealed the defect, and make sure you meet all legal deadlines.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Can I Afford a Product Liability Lawyer?
Many people fail to seek legal assistance because they assume that a lawyer’s fees are too expensive. But it is always free to speak with a representative at Berger and Green, so you never have to worry about whether you can afford the attorney fees of our Erie, PA, product liability lawyer.
If you were injured by a defective product, reach out to our office for a free case consultation. We will listen to your story and evaluate whether you have grounds for a product liability case. If we think you have a strong case and you feel that we are the right team to represent you, we will move forward. You only pay us if we win, so there is no financial risk to you.
Contact Berger and Green Today About Your Product Liability Case
When you do not know where to turn after being injured by a defective product, turn to us. Our team at Berger and Green has over 40 years of experience helping people like you and your loved ones who were injured or killed because of another party’s negligence. Contact us to learn more about how our Erie personal injury lawyer can assist with your product liability case. We may be able to help you seek the compensation and justice you deserve.