Although most parents and children look forward to summer weather, it is also the time of year when unexpected accidents can occur the most. Fortunately, most of these accidents can be avoided if parents plan ahead of time and follow some basic safety tips.
Here are a few of the dangers children face and how to prevent a serious injury from occurring.
- Head Injuries: Children will spend more time on bikes, scooters and skateboards. A helmet and safety gear is crucial to avoid a traumatic brain injury. According to the Brain Injury Association of America, every 21 seconds one person in the U.S. sustains a traumatic brain injury.
- Drowning: A child needs to be supervised at all times while swimming. A child can drown in as little as one inch of water. Home owners must protect their pools by having a fence around the pool and a latch that locks.
- Vehicles: Always have children buckle up in the vehicle and never leave them unattended. In 2016, there were 39 deaths caused by heatstroke of children who were left in hot cars.
- Playgrounds: Injuries from falls account for 80% of all playground injuries. New technology and advancements have been put in place to try and make playgrounds even safer for children. It is important to remember that when temperatures rise, all playground equipment will become hot. Use caution when heading to playgrounds during this weather.
- Boating and Personal Water Crafts: In most states, children are required to wear a life jacket while on a boat. The operator of the boat is responsible for all passengers. The operator of a boat should never drink and drive and should make sure the boat meets all safety standards.
Recovering compensation after an injury
If your child was injured due to another person’s negligence, you may be able to file a personal injury claim. It is important to make sure your child’s injuries get attended to. A personal injury claim can help alleviate medical bills and provide financial compensation for their present and future needs. Contact the attorneys at Berger and Green today at 412-661-1400 for a free no obligation consultation.