In 2015, there were 1,453 accidents in Blair County, resulting in hundreds of injuries and 20 deaths, according to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT). Serious accidents can completely derail a person’s life. They can cause major damage, life-altering injuries, and financial hardship; lead to long-term disability; and affect a person’s entire future. Even accidents involving minor to moderate injuries can cause significant physical, emotional, and financial damage.
If you were involved in a car accident in Blair County, you need to know your rights, legal options, and how to handle your claim to recover maximum compensation for your losses. Berger and Green can help. Call a Blair County car accident lawyer at 412-661-1400 and schedule a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your case.
How do car accident claims in Blair County work?
Pennsylvania is a “choice no-fault” state, which means the options for recovery after an accident depend on whether drivers have a full or limited tort policy. (Regardless of whether you have full or limited tort, you can always file with your own insurer.)
- Limited tort: If you opted for a limited tort policy, you can file a claim against the at-fault driver’s bodily injury liability and/or property damage liability for your financial losses and expenses. (To move up to full tort, your injuries must meet a severity threshold.)
- Full tort: If you have full tort, then you have the option of filing a claim against the at-fault driver for financial losses and additional pain and suffering damages. With serious accidents, this can increase your settlement check exponentially.
CAUTION: When reporting your accident, anything you say during the conversation with the insurance company may affect the value and overall outcome of your case. Adjusters have a knack for twisting victims’ statements and using the conversation to apportion blame or minimize the severity of injuries. Plus, they may push you to settle the claim before you know the full value of your damages. To protect your best interests, speak to a Berger and Green lawyer before you give a recorded statement to any insurance adjuster.
Do I need an attorney to help me with my car accident case?
Having an injury attorney help you with your car accident case can benefit you in multiple ways, and because Berger and Green offers services on a contingency basis, there are no upfront out-of-pocket fees for you to worry about. Below are just some of the reasons why it is smart to enlist the help of lawyer:
- We can explain your options and counsel you on the best way to proceed.
- We can help with small tasks, such as finding a rental car and talking to your doctors about deferring medical payments until your settlement comes through.
- We can help you avoid common mistakes claimants make that devalue or discredit their claims.
- We can collect evidence to support your case, help with paperwork and forms, establish liability, and handle any arguments that arise during the case.
- We can assess the value of your case and ensure we account for all your damages so that you receive an appropriate award.
- We can negotiate with insurers on your behalf for larger sums.
- We can take the case to court, if need be, to ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
What types of evidence might I need to prove my claim?
The more evidence you can collect, the better. Collect any pertinent documents and keep them in a folder to share with your lawyer. Some of the items you should gather include:
- A copy of the police report
- The names and contact numbers for other involved parties
- The other driver’s insurance information
- Photos of the accident scene and damage to the vehicles
- Eyewitness contact information
- All your injury-related bills and receipts, including medical expenses and proof of lost wages
- An injury journal in which you document your pain levels, treatments, progress, and how the injury is affecting your daily life
In cases where fault is more clear-cut, e.g., a rear-end accident that occurred at a red light, proving liability is often much simpler and may require less evidence. In other instances, you may need substantial evidence and subpoenas to obtain certain items. For example, if you suspect that the other driver caused the accident because she was texting, we might be able to obtain a copy of her cell phone records to prove it.
This may seem like a lot, but do not feel overwhelmed. We can help. Berger and Green has been helping car accident victims in Blair County for over 40 years, resulting in many considerable settlements and verdicts. We know which types of evidence are most useful and how to obtain it.
How much is my car accident claim worth?
Each car accident claim is different. The value of your case depends on the severity of your injuries, your current and future losses, and the specifics of the insurance policy. A Berger and Green car accident lawyer can estimate the value of your case. We will tally the expenses you have already accumulated and work with economic experts to help calculate the value of your future medical expenses and the total loss of wages you will sustain as a result of the accident.
You may be able to recover various losses such as:
- Medical and rehabilitation needs
- Transportation expenses for medical care
- Household services (e.g., hiring help for household tasks that you would normally do if not for your injuries)
- Loss of wages and disability
- Loss of benefits
- Disfigurement and scarring
Our attorneys are thorough when they calculate damages. We take every expense and loss into account when listing your damages and paint a clear picture of how your accident has impacted your life for the insurer or jury. This way, you can get the highest settlement possible.
Get a FREE Consultation with a Blair County Car Accident Lawyer
For a free consultation with a Blair County car accident lawyer at Berger and Green, give us a call and schedule a meeting with one of our attorneys. Feel free to bring any important information about your accident and a list of questions about your claim or our firm that you may have. Contact us today at 412-661-1400 to get started.