Have you been injured in a truck accident in Beaver County, PA? Call Berger and Green at (412) 661-1400 for a free, no-risk consultation.
Truck Accident Lawyer In Beaver County, PA
Truck accidents can be devastating. You may be left with physical injuries, unexpected medical expenses, lost wages, and damage to your car that may not be covered by insurance.
The team at Berger and Green is here to help take the burden off your shoulders. We have over 40 years of combined experience helping victims who have been impacted by personal injury accidents, and we are proud of our results. For a free review of your case or to have a truck accident lawyer in Beaver County, PA, on our team get to work right away, contact us now at (412) 661-1400.
Most Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Over 100,000 people are in truck accidents every year. The majority of these accidents–87%–are caused by the driver. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) coded the top driver-related factors into four categories:
- Non-performance: the driver fell asleep, had a heart attack, or was impaired in some other way.
- Recognition: the driver was distracted by something inside or outside of the vehicle.
- Decision: the driver made a poor decision, such as following too closely or driving too fast in poor weather conditions.
- Performance: the driver overcompensated or exercised poor control.
The FMCSA identified hundreds of factors that caused truck accidents and, ultimately, identified that the top 10 factors were:
- Brake problems
- Traffic flow interruption
- Prescription drug use
- Traveling too fast for the road conditions
- Driver unfamiliarity with the road
- Roadway problems
- Required stop (such as a crosswalk) before the crash
- Over-the-county drug use
- Inadequate surveillance
If you or a member of your family has been left devastated by a truck accident, contact a truck accident lawyer in Beaver County, PA, with Berger and Green at (412) 661-1400 for a free, no-obligation review of your case.
Types of Injuries Resulting from Truck Accidents
There are a wide variety of injuries that can result from truck accidents. The most common injuries were:
- Back and neck injuries: these could include minor neck pain as well as more serious injuries like herniated discs.
- Broken bones: because of the force involved in truck accidents, victims are more likely to break bones than they are in car accidents.
- Head injuries and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): per the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), head injuries can cause minor symptoms like headaches or result in life-altering injuries such as loss of cognitive or motor functions.
- Internal injuries: the powerful blunt trauma in truck accidents often causes internal bleeding from organs like the spleen, bladder, and liver.
- Lacerations: lacerations and cuts are usually painful and can result in permanent scars and even disfigurement.
- Seat belt injuries: while they are there to protect you, seatbelts can also create injuries similar to whiplash when they are keeping you in place during a truck accident.
- Spinal cord injuries: injuries to the spinal cord can cause temporary or permanent paralysis.
- Psychological injuries: trauma related to truck accidents can sometimes make it difficult or impossible to carry out normal, day-to-day activities.
- Wrongful death: in some cases, the injuries sustained in a truck accident are so severe that the victim passes away.
If you have lost a loved one in a truck accident in Beaver County, PA, contact the lawyers at Berger and Green today at (412) 661-1400 for a free, no-risk review of your claim.
Damages You May Recover After a Truck Accident
If you or a member have suffered a truck accident injury, you may be entitled to recover damages related to your accident. Some of the most common types of damages that victims may recover include:
- Medical expenses, including ambulance rides, hospital stays, surgeries, medications, physical therapy, rehabilitation, doctors’ visits, and medical equipment
- Out of pocket costs you have incurred related to the accident
- Lost wages, both past and present
- Future wages if you are unable to return to work
- Pain and suffering
In some cases, the negligence of the defendant is so reprehensible that the court will order them to pay punitive damages. These are not intended to reward the victim as much as they are meant to punish the defendant for gross negligence and discourage him from repeating the mistake.
How a Truck Accident Lawyer in Beaver County, PA, Can Help
Regardless of how a truck accident hurt you or a member of your family, if the accident was caused by the driver’s or someone else’s negligence, you have the right to pursue compensation for your damages.
Many times, with truck accident cases, it can be difficult to establish liability because, between the driver, the trucking company, and the maintenance company, many parties can be involved. That is why we are here to help. We can:
- File your claim in court
- Gather evidence such as police reports, medical records and bills, and eyewitness statements
- Investigate your case to identify who is responsible for causing the accident
- Negotiate with insurance companies to pursue compensation to the fullest extent of your injuries
- Fight for your rights at trial if we cannot reach a settlement out of court
There are time limits for how long you have to act: according to the Pennsylvania statute of limitations, personal injury cases have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. In the event of wrongful death, the family of the victim has two years from the date of his death to pursue damages.
Memories also fade with time, and it can be easier to gather evidence to prove negligence soon after the accident has happened.
If you are ready for a truck accident lawyer in Beaver County, PA, on our team to get to work right away or if you would like to take advantage of our free, no-obligation consultation, call Berger and Green now at (412) 661-1400.