Have you been injured in a slip and fall accident? Do you need to establish negligence in your claim but are unsure where to start?
When liability is unclear in a slip and fall accident claim, the team at Berger and Green can help you eliminate the confusion and pursue damages for someone else’s negligent actions.
Contact us today at (412) 661-1400 for a free, no-risk review of your accident. Our team of slip and fall accident and injury lawyers in Washington County, PA, has well over 40 years of experience and is happy to help you explore what options you have for recovering damages in your case. Call us today.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Almost anything can cause you to trip or slip and fall, resulting in serious, sometimes life-altering injuries. The most common causes of fall accidents include:
- Liquid or spills on the floor
- Improper concrete maintenance
- Holes in the ground
- Sloping of the ground
- Snow or ice
- Bumps in the carpet or a failure to use slip resistance
Most Common Injuries After Slip and Fall Accidents in Washington County, PA
A wide variety of injuries can occur after a fall. The most common injuries include:
- Hip fractures: according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), over 95% of hip fractures happen as a result of falling. This injury requires surgery and months of rehabilitation. For older adults, it is a frequent cause of death, as studies from the U.S. National Library of Medicine show that one in four patients perish within a year of a hip fracture.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) and other head injuries: the CDC reports that falls are the most common cause of TBIs. A head injury could result in milder symptoms, such as headaches or momentary loss of consciousness, or could cause serious complications with cognitive functions.
- Back and spinal cord injuries: a back injury can cause herniated discs or fractured vertebrae. Serious spinal cord injuries can result in partial or complete loss of movement below the injury.
- Shoulder injuries: after a fall, the sudden impact to the shoulder can cause instant pain and bruising, potentially resulting in a number of other injuries, such as injuries to nerves, separation of the shoulder, or a torn rotator cuff.
- Sprains and fractures: partially or completely broken bones, twisted knees, and sprained ankles are common injuries that can occur after a slip and fall accident.
If you have been injured in an accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence, contact Berger and Green today at (412) 661-1400. We are happy to have our slip and fall accident and injury lawyers in Washington County, PA, review your case for free and explain your options for recovering damages.
Types of Damages You May Be Entitled to Collect After a Slip and Fall
While we cannot estimate the compensation you may be entitled to collect as a result of your slip and fall accident, damages other victims have been able to recover in similar cases include:
- Medical costs, such as ambulance rides, hospital stays, doctors’ examinations, surgeries, physical therapy, and rehabilitation
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Lost wages
- Future wages if you are unable to return to work
- Pain and suffering
If your family member passed away as a result of his or her injuries, your family may be entitled to collect damages. Some of the most common types of damages recovered in wrongful death cases include:
- Medical expenses
- Funeral costs
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of wages and benefits provided by the victim
- Loss of support and protection
- Loss of companionship
In some cases where the defendant’s actions are grossly negligent, the court may award punitive damages. These are designed to punish the defendant for his or her actions and discourage such behavior from them—or others—ever again.
Establishing Liability in a Slip and Fall Accident
The biggest challenge of a slip and fall accident claim is establishing negligence. In Pennsylvania, one of three things must be true in order to hold the property owner or manager responsible for a slip and fall accident:
- They created the danger and did nothing to remove it.
- They knew about the danger but did nothing.
- A reasonable person would have known about the danger and corrected it.
This last situation is typically the most common but can be the hardest to prove. A slip and fall accident lawyer in Washington County, PA, can help you establish liability in your accident and build a case to recover damages.
Contact the Slip and Fall Lawyers at Berger and Green Today
The slip and fall lawyers at Berger and Green can help if you are ready to start building a case to pursue damages from your slip and fall accident. We can:
- Provide you with the 24/7 support and guidance from start to finish
- Establish liability in the case
- Negotiate with insurance companies or the defendant’s attorneys
- Pursue damages to the fullest extent of your injuries
- Fight for your rights at trial if we cannot reach an agreeable settlement out of court
We understand how overwhelming it can be to think about pursuing legal action in a slip and fall case on your own, especially if you are still recovering from your injuries. But you do not have to go it alone. The team at Berger and Green are here to help.
But if you do want to pursue damages, your time is limited. According to Pennsylvania’s statute of limitations, you generally have two years to pursue damages in a personal injury case. If your family member perished because of the injuries he or she sustained in the accident, you have two years from the date of their passing.
If you are ready to get started right away or would just like to speak with our slip and fall accident and injury lawyers in Washington County, PA, to explore what options you might have for recovering damages, call Berger and Green at (412) 661-1400.