Keeping Safe this Thanksgiving
In Pennsylvania, the days surrounding Thanksgiving are known as some of the most dangerous and deadly.
Dangers can be present whether you are at home or on the road.
Help keep Thanksgiving safe by following these few safety tips at home and on the road.
Thanksgiving Home Safety Tips
Kitchen fires are the leading cause of home fires and injuries, and the holidays make no exceptions. Thanksgiving Day takes the number one spot for house fires followed by Christmas Day, Christmas Eve and the day before Thanksgiving.
The National Fire and Protection Association says that unattended cooking is by far the leading cause of home fires.
To ensure you and your family’s safety this Thanksgiving, follow these kitchen safety tips:
- Never leave food unattended.
- Check on your turkey frequently.
- Keep children away from hot stoves.
- Keep floors clear so there are no tripping hazards.
- Make sure smoke alarms are in good, working order.
Thanksgiving Travel Safety Tips
According to the NHTSA, tens of millions of Americans will be on the roadways this Thanksgiving. It is more important than ever for drivers to plan ahead and practice safe driving.
In Pennsylvania, car accidents will rise over the next three days. The days surrounding Thanksgiving are known as some of the most dangerous and deadly.
In 2021, Pre-Thanksgiving (the day before) had 1,454 crashes, Thanksgiving Day had 1,377 crashes and Black Friday (the day after) had 1,384 crashes.
Keep yourself and others safe on the roads this Thanksgiving by doing your part.
- Slow Down: Drive at a safe speed and expect traffic delays. Give yourself plenty of time to get to your destination.
- Safety: Wear safety belts and make sure children are in age and size appropriate car seats.
- Prepare Your Vehicle: Make sure your car is ready for the weather. Check tires, brakes and fluids.
- Never Drink and Drive: If you plan on having anything to drink, may sure you have a designated driver.
We hope you have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.
Recovering compensation after an accident.
If you or a loved one were injured in an accident, contact the law firm of Berger and Green to review your rights. You may be entitled to compensation. Pursuing a claim after an accident can help pay for unexpected costs such as wage loss, medical bills and pain and suffering. At Berger and Green, we consider your present and future needs. Call 412-661-1400 to schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer in Pittsburgh at Berger and Green today.