It is your decision whether you need a lawyer after a car accident, but it is important that you know the benefits of hiring a lawyer before making such a decision. You may ultimately determine that hiring a lawyer reduces the burden on yourself or your loved one as you seek compensation for your losses. You may also find that a lawyer will defend your rights and provide valuable advice in the course of their representation.
Why You May Choose to Hire a Lawyer
There is a reason why lawyers and car accidents may be synonymous for some, as a lawyer could be of great assistance to victims injured in motor vehicle collisions. Some reasons why you may choose to hire a lawyer after your car accident include:
- That you are seriously injured and unable to handle your insurance claim or lawsuit without assistance
- That you have little or no knowledge of lawsuits or insurance claims and would prefer to have a lawyer help you in such matters
- That a lawyer may have prior experience with insurance claims or lawsuits similar to yours, and you believe such experience is an asset
- You would like a lawyer to defend your rights
- You would like a lawyer to provide advice and strategy
Your Injuries Could Put You Out of Commission
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) note the extent of damage that car accidents have on the health of the American population. Per the CDC, motor vehicle accidents:
- Caused $18 billion in medical costs in 2012
- Cause Americans to be hospitalized for more than a million total days each year
- Caused $33 billion in lost productivity in 2012
You may feel the weight of these costs on an individual basis. Some of the injuries that may result from a car accident include:
- Whiplash, which the Mayo Clinic explains can be caused by rear-end accidents in particular
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injury
- Injury to your organs
- Internal bleeding
- Serious bruising
- Cuts, also known as lacerations
- Spinal cord injury
Suffering such injuries could cause great pain. In addition, you may not be able to work for a prolonged period of time while you recover. In certain instances, you may never recover from the effects of your injury.
For a free legal consultation, call (412) 661-1400
A Lawyer Will Work to Win Compensation for You
While you may not need to hire a lawyer after a car accident, you may choose to do so after learning about the responsibilities that a lawyer can handle for you. A lawyer may—first and foremost—defend your rights from those who would attempt to violate them. They may also provide legal (and other) advice as necessary throughout their time as your lawyer.
Additionally, you can expect your lawyer to:
- Familiarize themselves with the circumstances of your accident
- Determine who is responsible for your accident
- Become knowledgeable about your injuries and symptoms
- Calculate the cost that your losses have taken on you
- Explain your options for seeking compensation
- Deal with insurance companies on your behalf
- Negotiate an insurance settlement
- File and complete a lawsuit
- Make any necessary appearances on your behalf
- File any necessary appeals
Having a lawyer handle the entirety of your insurance claim or lawsuit may allow you to forego any headaches that you would experience from completing such tasks on your own. You can focus on recovery instead of your case.
You May Obtain Compensation
A lawyer may have one primary goal—to obtain fair compensation in response to your accident-related losses. The losses that you have suffered and could experience in the future may depend on the nature and severity of your injuries. Additionally, such compensation may depend on the extent to which others are responsible for your accident.
Some of the losses for which you may collect compensation are:
- Medical expenses from your accident-related injuries
- Income you lose during recovery
- Any permanent decline in your income
- The cost of any part- or full-time caregivers which you require
- The cost of rehabilitation
- The cost of transportation to and from medical visits
- Pain and suffering
If you suffered any other accident-related losses, then they may be covered as well.
Call Berger and Green Today to Get Started
The team at Berger and Green will be your legal advocates during what may be a difficult time for you and your loved ones. We will fight for the compensation that you deserve.
You may have other reasons for hiring a lawyer after a car accident. While you do not technically need a lawyer after a car accident—you can technically handle an insurance claim or lawsuit on your own—you may find that you want one.
We are here when you decide that you want to retain our services. Give Berger and Green a call today at (412) 661-1400 for a free consultation!