reporting changes to ssa

When you are receiving SSD or SSI benefits, it is your responsibility to report any changes in your lifestyle or income to the Social Security Administration (SSA.) Not doing so could result in an overpayment that must be repaid.

Below is a list from the SSA’s website detailing the types of income and changes that must be reported.

  • You return to work.
  • All earnings from wages, self-employment, or both.
  • Other income: workers’ compensation, pensions, sick, and vacation pay.
  • Change of mailing address.
  • Custody changes.
  • Change in marital status.
  • If you have a child.
  • Your beneficiary dies or is unable to handle your benefits.
  • You are sent to jail for more than 30 days.

To see the entire list, visit the SSA’s website here.

You must notify the SSA of any of the above changes as soon as possible.

Where and how you can report these changes.

  • Call or visit your local SSA office.
  • Call the toll-free national number at 1-800-772-1213.
  • Visit your social security account on the SSA’s website.


Getting Help Applying for Social Security Disability Benefits

For a free legal consultation, call (412) 661-1400

You should apply for Social Security Disability benefits as soon as possible. If you become disabled and will be unable to work or your disability is life-threatening, do not hesitate to apply. The process of receiving these monthly payments and benefits can take a long time. It is important that you begin the application process early so that you can begin receiving benefits as soon as possible.

If you are considering applying for either SSD or SSI benefits, do not delay.  Contact an experienced Social Security Disability Attorney to find out how. Call the Social Security Disability attorneys at Berger and Green at 412-661-1400 for a free no-obligation consultation to discuss your claim.

Call or text (412) 661-1400 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form