work processPersonal Injury Claim Vs. Lawsuit: What is the Difference?

When someone is injured in an accident, whether it be an automobile, slip and fall or a dog bite, you may have the option to file a claim for the injuries you sustained.  When you file a claim, you are submitting medical evidence to the negligent party’s insurance company.   This involves negotiating until a settlement is reached and all parties have agreed it is adequate. If you hire an attorney, they will be handling the negotiating process for you.

Sometimes, an agreement cannot be reached, and a lawsuit needs to be filed.  You have two years following an accident in which to settle the claim or file a lawsuit.  This means if an agreement cannot be reached within that time you must file a lawsuit.

The word lawsuit is scary to many.  The thought of going to court over an already traumatic experience is not something many wish to do.  You should understand that not every lawsuit filed ends up in the courtroom.

Once a lawsuit is filed your case will keep moving and building while you are waiting for a court date.  During this time, the insurance companies can continue to make other offers to try and reach a settlement agreement before heading to court.  If both parties are happy with that offer, the lawsuit will be discontinued, and you will not have to go to court.

If a settlement is still not reached before the court date, you will have to go to court. That is why it important to hire an experienced attorney to represent you. The attorneys at Berger and Green will help you every step of the way.  Our attorneys will prepare you and let you know what to expect ahead of time. 

For a free legal consultation, call (412) 661-1400

Recovering compensation after an automobile accident.

If you or a loved one were injured in an accident, contact the personal injury attorneys at Berger and Green.  Our attorneys will provide you with a free no-obligation consultation to evaluate your case.  Call 412-661-1400 to speak with an attorney today.

Call or text (412) 661-1400 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form