If you have been injured on the job and are collecting workers’ compensation as a result of your injury, you may be wondering if you can be fired while on these benefits and out of work.

The answer is yes and no.

No, you cannot be fired simply because you were injured at work and are collecting workers’ compensation. However, you can be fired while out of work and collecting workers’ compensation benefits. If an employer were to fire you while you were out of work due to an injury, the reasons they give for letting you go cannot be based on your workers’ compensation claim.

Most employees can be fired by their employer for any reason at any time. As we mentioned above, filing a workers’ compensation claim cannot be used as the reason for the firing.

Will I continue to receive my workers’ compensation benefits if I am fired?

The law in Pennsylvania states that your former employer’s insurance company must continue to pay for your medical costs and wage loss until a doctor feels you have recovered from your workplace injury.

You may be interested in unemployment benefits or even Social Security Disability benefits if you feel you cannot return to work. This can have an impact on your workers’ compensation benefits.  You should contact an experienced workers’ compensation attorney to discuss your case.

Workers’ compensation negotiation and litigation is often complex. If you have questions or concerns about your workplace injuries, contact an experienced workers’ compensation attorney at Berger and Green.

Recovering compensation after an accident

For a free legal consultation, call (412) 661-1400

If you were injured on the job or lost a loved one while they were on the job, contact the experienced attorneys at Berger and Green. We keep in mind your present and future needs. After an injury or a death, filing a claim will help you and your family during this difficult and unexpected time.  Call Berger and Green at 412-661-1400 to schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer in Pittsburgh today.

Source: PA. GOV, “WC Act Landing Page.”

Call or text (412) 661-1400 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form