When the outside conditions become icy and wet, trying to avoid a fall can be quite difficult. Each year, accidental slip and falls cause thirty thousand serious injuries and twenty thousand deaths. Poor or careless maintenance of sidewalks, parking lots and roads can quickly become dangerous for pedestrians.
Below are a few tips on how you can prepare for the weather and avoid these types of accidents.
- Dress for the weather. This includes wearing appropriate shoes such as snow boots with tread.
- Keep hands out of pockets for balance.
- Use handrails when available.
- Test potentially icy spots by tapping it with your foot before walking on it.
- Avoid icy sidewalks by walking in grassy areas instead.
- Wipe your feet off when entering a building.
- Avoid distractions such as a cell phone.
- Avoid carrying items. If you begin to fall, toss whatever you are carrying.
- Plan your route ahead of time and give yourself plenty of time.
Recovering compensation after a slip and fall accident.
Slip falls are one of the most common injury claims pursued during the winter months. These types of accidents can often lead to serious injuries which means costly medical bills and missed time from work.
If the owner of the property failed to maintain, take appropriate precautions or fix a known problem that contributed to the fall, a personal injury claim may be pursued. If you or someone you know were injured in a slip and fall accident, contact the personal injury attorneys at Berger and Green at 412-661-1400 for a free no obligation consultation.
Source: Denver Health, “Winter Fall Prevention and Safety Tips”