Hot Water TanksHot water tanks provide hot water to numerous areas of the house. If a hot water tank is defective, it can cause serious injuries and property damage.

Gas hot water tanks are usually located in a utility room away from where people spend most of their time. Any type of gasoline spill or combustible material that is spilled near the water heater could start a fire.

Although a combusting water heater would cause serious injuries, burn injuries from water are more likely to result from a faulty hot water tank.  

If a hot water tank is defective, it could affect your water temperature.  The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends keeping your hot water temperature set to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Minimal exposure to anything higher could result in serious burns.

Hot water burns are mostly caused by broken thermostats, defective tempering valves or incorrect settings on the hot water tank.

These types of accidents tend to affect the elderly and children who may not be able to react fast enough or turn off the scalding water.  

Protect your family and have your hot water tank regularly maintained and make sure your hot water settings are no higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit.  

Recovering compensation after an injury from a defective product

It is a manufacturer’s responsibility to make sure their products are safe for consumers.  If someone is injured due to a defective product, a product liability claim may exist.  A claim may be pursued to pay for damages caused by the defective product such as medical bills, missed time from work and pain and suffering.  

For a free legal consultation, call (412) 661-1400

If you or someone you know has been seriously injured by a defective product, it is important to contact a personal injury attorney to review your rights.  Call 412-661-1400 to schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer in Pittsburgh at Berger and Green today.

Source: Eemax, “6 Important Safety Facts Regarding Hot Water Scalds And Burn Injuries”

Call or text (412) 661-1400 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form