Thanksgiving: Cooking Safety.
Thanksgiving is just around the corner, which means a lot of time will be spent in the kitchen in the days to come. Cooking a large dinner can bring more dangers than your typical dinner. Hosts and guests need to play it safe in and around the kitchen to avoid any injuries this holiday season.
Kitchen fires are the leading cause of home fires and injuries and the holidays make no exceptions. Thanksgiving Day takes the number one spot for house fires followed by Christmas Day, Christmas Eve and the day before Thanksgiving.
The National Fire and Protection Association says that unattended cooking is by bar the leading cause of home fires.
To ensure you and your family’s safety this Thanksgiving, follow these kitchen safety tips:
- Never leave food unattended.
- Check on your turkey frequently.
- Keep children away from hot stoves.
- Keep floors clear so there are no tripping hazards.
- Make sure smoke alarms are in good, working order.
If a fire does occur in the kitchen, below are a few tips to help control it.
- If you are cooking on your range or cooktop and a fire occurs, try and contain the fire by covering it with a lid. Once the lid is on, remove the pot from the burner it was on. The lack of oxygen will put the fire out. If you do not have access to a lid, use a fire extinguisher and aim for the base of the fire, not the flames.
- When a fire occurs inside of your oven or microwave, do not open the door. Turn the appliance off. The lack of oxygen will suffocate the fire.
- If a grease fire erupts in your kitchen, you must handle it differently. First, do not throw water on it. Water will cause the grease to spread the fire to areas where the grease splashes. Try throwing baking soda or salt on the fire. If the fire is manageable, cover it with a lid or a wet towel.
Other Kitchen Safety Tips for Hosts and Guests:
- Keep children away from the stove. Children should stay at least three feet away.
- Make sure kids stay away from hot food and liquids to avoid serious burns.
- Keep knives out of the reach.
- Be sure electric cords are not dangling off the counter.
- Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children.
- Never leave children alone in room with a lit candle.
To protect yourself and family this holiday season, keep a fire extinguisher in your home. Also, make sure your home is equipped with fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. If a fire does occur in your home and you cannot contain it, call 911 and evacuate your home immediately.
For a free legal consultation, call (412) 661-1400
Recovering compensation after a fire.
It is a property owner’s responsibility to keep their premises and home safe at all times. If you were injured in a fire due to a neglected premise or a defective heating device, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact the personal injury attorneys at Berger and Green at 412-661-1400 for a free no obligation consultation.
Source: National Fire Protection Association, “Thanksgiving Safety”