Creating a my social security account through the SSA’s website is a free and secure way to access your personal Social Security Information at any time.
This account is beneficial for those who have applied for disability and for those considering applying for disability or retirement benefits.
What kind of services does My Social Security provide?
- If your claim for Social Security Disability Benefits is pending, and you would like to know how much you will receive if awarded, you can get an estimate by simply checking your account.
- You can obtain a verification letter if you are in the process of applying for benefits but have not received a decision.
- The ability to check your personal Social Security Statement and your earnings record.
- If you have a change of address, you can easily update your account.
For a free legal consultation, call (412) 661-1400
How do I set up My Social Security Account?
- To set up an account you will need a valid email address. If you do not currently have an email address you will have to create one. Some examples of valid and free email providers are: AOL, Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo.
- Once you have a valid email address visit gov and select “Sign In/Up” located in the top right corner.
- You will be redirected to a new screen. Once you get to this screen click on “Create a new account” which is located at the bottom of the page.
- Next, you will have to provide some personal information to verify your identity.
- Lastly, you will be asked to create a username and password to access your account.
If you have any questions relating to your My Social Security account, you can call Social Security’s toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. You will be able to speak to a representative from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. from Mondays through Fridays. If you call after hours you will be directed to an automated telephone service which is available 24 hours a day.
If you are deaf or have hearing problems, you are able to contact Social Security toll free at 1-800-325-0778. This service is ONLY available from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mondays through Fridays.
Getting Help With Your Social Security Disability Benefits
You should apply for Social Security Disability benefits as soon as possible. If you become disabled and will be unable to work or your disability is life threatening, do not hesitate to apply. The process for receiving these monthly payments and benefits can take a long time. It is important that you begin the application process early so that you can begin receiving benefits as soon as possible.
If you are considering applying for either SSD or SSI benefits, or have been denied these benefits and need representation, do not delay. Contact an experienced Social Security Disability Attorney. Call the Social Security Disability attorneys at Berger and Green at 412-661-1400 for a free no obligation consultation to discuss your claim.
Source: SSA.gov, “my Social Security”