Living and coping with the limitations of a physical or mental disability can be difficult. Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits from the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) can help you and your family cope during this difficult time. The SSA can deny benefits for a variety of reasons, though, and the process of appealing a denial can be overwhelming.
Our Bellevue Social Security Disability lawyer at Berger and Green will help you understand SSD’s requirements and navigate the appeals process. We also explain the medical and monthly financial benefits you could be entitled to receive and will guide you through the various stages of appealing a denial of benefits.
Berger and Green Can Help You Understand the Social Security Disability Benefits Process
If you are unable to work because of a disability, you could be eligible for SSD benefits that will help to cover the costs of medical care required to treat your condition. You may also receive monthly financial benefits based on your pre-disability income or on your demonstrated financial need depending on which program you apply for.
If you received a denial of benefits, the first thing we can do is review the reason for the denial. When our Social Security Disability lawyer serving Bellevue, PA, represents you, we make sure you understand:
- What SSA guidelines consider a disabling condition
- What benefits you are entitled to
- What the next steps in the process are
- How an attorney can help you with your claim for benefits
Our goal is to help you get the benefits you are entitled to. Our SSD lawyer can also clarify if you can collect Social Security retirement and disability at the same time.
For a free legal consultation with a social security disability lawyer serving Bellevue, call 412-661-1400
Appealing a Denial of Social Security Disability Benefits Involves Various Steps
At Berger and Green, our Bellevue Social Security Disability attorneys understand the frustration of having your application denied. We can help you navigate the complex process of appealing a denial.
Appealing a Denial of Benefits
The appeals process involves four stages. Our lawyer will ensure you understand each stage of the appeals process and how we help at each phase. They include:
- Reconsideration: If you believe your application was denied, the first stage of the appeals process is having it reconsidered. Your request will be reviewed by a new and impartial set of eyes who will reassess your application and issue their own finding.
- Hearing by an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ): An ALJ will further review your application and any new evidence it contains. The Judge will not have been part of your case prior to this hearing which can be conducted online.
- Appeals Council review: If you do not agree with the ALJ’s decision, you can have it reconsidered by an Appeals Council. The Council will either reaffirm the ALJ’s decision, send your case back to the ALJ for reconsideration, or make its own determination on your eligibility.
- Federal Court review: This is essentially a civil lawsuit you file in a Federal district court. This is the final stage of the appeals process, must be conducted in person, and cannot be further appealed.
You should be aware that the state of Pennsylvania recently reinstated its reconsideration stage for disability appeals. It requires you to wait for a denial from the reconsideration phase before requesting a hearing with an ALJ.
Bellevue Social Security Disability Lawyer Near Me 412-661-1400
How to Prove Your Eligibility for Social Security Disability Benefits
The SSA offers medical and financial benefits via two programs. When you apply for SSD benefits because a disability impedes you from working to support yourself, the first step is to know which program to apply for.
SSD benefits programs include the following:
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) offers benefits to disabled individuals who meet the basic eligibility requirements. You should apply for SSDI benefits if you worked long and recently enough and paid SSD insurance during your employment.
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) offers benefits for disabled individuals who do not qualify for SSDI benefits but have little or no financial or other resources or assets by which they can support themselves.
SSDI and SSI do not use the same application.
Reviews From Previous SSD Clients
At Berger and Green, we work hard to earn 5-star reviews from every client we represent. Our previous client reviews and testimonials include the following:
- Melinda Neyer: “Social Security denied disability benefits for my daughter three times. Attorney VanKeuren and Legal Assistant, Marena, and the staff were very professional yet caring. They seem to take a personal interest in my daughter and her case.”
- George Sembrot: “Berger & Green go the extra mile and put the extra work in for their clients. They are the ones to call in your time of need. I am always referring folks to them when someone asks if I know of any disability lawyers.”
We never stop fighting for the clients we represent. Hear from additional SSD clients and watch video testimonials on our reviews page.
Click to contact our Bellevue Personal Injury Lawyers today
Learn About Our Social Security Disability Team During Your Free Consultation
If you are unsure of what to do after your application for Social Security Disability benefits was denied, we can help. Our Social Security Disability lawyer serving Bellevue can review your application, explain how to file an appeal, and walk you through the process from start to finish.
Get started with a free review from one of our Berger and Green consultation team members today.
Call or text 412-661-1400 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form