- What Is LTD Coverage?
- The Process of Seeking LTD Payments Is Complex, But Our Attorneys Can Help
- Your LTD Application is Critical
- How Can You Help with Your LTD Claim?
- Berger and Green Offers Free Consultations
- Call Us Today
If you have an injury or illness that prevents you from working, you could be entitled to long-term disability (LTD) payments. Pittsburgh, PA, long-term disability lawyers can help you with your LTD application and guide you through the claims process.
What Is LTD Coverage?
If you cannot work because of a disability, you may be eligible for LTD payments. LTD coverage applies whether or not your injury and/ or illness is work-related. According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), about half of large and mid-sized employers have LTD insurance for their employees, but the law does not require businesses to provide LTD.
How Much Can You Expect to Receive From Your LTD Benefits?
LTD payments replace around 60 percent of your usual salary, though this percentage varies. Coverage generally begins when short-term disability payments run out, and payments can last anywhere from five years to life. Every LTD claim is different, and how much money your claim is worth will depend on:
- Your wages at the time of your claim
- Whether you have an “own occupation” or “any occupation” disability policy
- The exact terms, amounts, and payment schedules your plan outlines.
Our attorneys we will help you understand what is required to fight for every dollar available to you. We want to help you get the most LTD coverage possible.
For a free legal consultation with a Long-Term Disability Applications lawyer serving Pittsburgh, call 412-661-1400
The Process of Seeking LTD Payments Is Complex, But Our Attorneys Can Help
The Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) governs employer-provided LTD coverage. According to the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), among other provisions, ERISA:
- Requires an established grievance and appeals process for participants who are seeking benefits from their plan
- Allows participants to sue for benefits and breaches of fiduciary duty
Applying for LTD benefits can be complicated. ERISA mandates very specific procedures and timelines. LTD attorneys familiar with ERISA rules know what it takes to secure the benefits you need. We can help you through the process, which alleviates your burden but also protects you from making a mistake that could hinder your claim.
Pittsburgh Long-Term Disability Applications Lawyer Near Me 412-661-1400
Your LTD Application is Critical
When applying for LTD, an application error could hurt your chances of receiving benefits. Consider enlisting the help of a LTD lawyer from the outset before insurance denies your initial claim. If it denies your initial claim, you must then start the appeals process. A LTD lawyer can:
- Prepare and file your claim application
- Provide the insurance company with your medical records
- Locate and work with vocational experts who can verify your disability
- Submit evidence proving your disability, such as photographs, videos, or witness testimony
- Communicate with the LTD insurance provider and other involved parties
- Track and adhere to relevant deadlines
- Review your settlement offers and negotiate for the maximum benefits available
- Assist you with a lawsuit, if necessary
Often, LTD plans require you to apply for Social Security Disability benefits. Our attorneys can help with your SSI and SSDI claims, as well.
What Happens I Your Provider Denies Your Application?
If the insurance provider denies your initial application, we can help you understand your rights as you work through the appeals process. If the appeals process fails, and your claim is not resolved favorably, a LTD lawyer can help you take timely legal action against the insurance company.
How Can You Help with Your LTD Claim?
There are things you can do that could help or hurt your chances of a successful LTD claim. Make sure you:
- Read and familiarize yourself with your LTD policy. Understand what is and is not covered.
- See your health care provider and have them make a complete and detailed report of your injury or illness that clearly documents why you cannot work.
- Have enough evidence to support your claim before quitting your job.
- Understand your deadline for filing an initial claim. Get started on the claims process before this deadline expires.
- Rely on the advice of your company’s human resources department. It will be up to you to file your LTD claim, not HR. Our lawyers can help you understand more about your policy and the claims process.
- Quit your job before you can prove your disability and have started on your claim. Many policies state that coverage ends at the time employment is terminated.
- Accept a less demanding or lower-paying job. This could make your claim more challenging to win or lower your future LTD payments.
- Provide the insurance company with information that could hurt your claim. If an insurance agent contacts you, do not give details about your injuries. Instead, tell them future contact should go through your attorney.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Berger and Green Offers Free Consultations
Berger and Green is a full-service injury and disability law firm. We have 40 years of legal experience that we can put to work for you. We know that getting the most for your LTD claim is crucial to getting your life back on track.
Because your case is important to you, it is important to us. We will always treat you with respect, communicate with you about the status of your claim, and return your calls and emails. We serve Pittsburgh and the surrounding area, and we can travel to you if you cannot come to us.
Call Us Today
To learn more, call us at (412) 661-1400 for a free consultation. A member of our team can discuss your case, answer your questions, and help you get started.