Social Security Disability covers two programs, Social Security Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income, and each uses a separate application. When you apply for Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits, you will be required to submit documentation and evaluations that demonstrate your current health condition as it pertains to the requirements for eligibility for either program. A complete application for benefits might involve supplying the Social Security Administration (SSA) with extensive paperwork, contact information for medical providers, and income records.
These tasks might feel overwhelming if you are trying to cope with a recent change in your physical abilities. A Pataskala Social Security Disability lawyer can help you navigate this process to file a claim for the payments you are entitled to collect.
If you believe you or someone you love should qualify for Social Security Disability payments in Pataskala, OH, we can help you apply for these benefits. Contact the client care team at Berger and Green by calling (412) 661-1400 today.
The Two Programs
Social Security Disability Insurance is a program to provide disabled people and some family members with benefits based on the amount of time the disabled person has worked and contributed to Social Security. Supplemental Security Income provides families with financial needs benefits. Though both programs use different applications, you will need to gather similar documentation and meet the qualifications set by the SSA.
For a free legal consultation with a social security disability lawyer serving Pataskala, call (412) 661-1400
Know the Benefits of Hiring a Pataskala Social Security Disability Lawyer
We support our clients in Pataskala, OH, and surrounding areas in their right to receive the benefits they are entitled to. To help you apply for Social Security Disability benefits, we may:
- Confirm that the SSA has the appropriate information about the applicant’s medical providers
- Help each client prove that the disability is so severe it keeps them from working
- Select and help clients complete their SSA applications
- Request a hearing date if there is sufficient time to do so
Our team will update you on the progress of your claim and help file an appeal if your initial claim is denied. If you are entitled to SSD benefits, you do not have to fight for them alone. Contact the team at Berger and Green by calling (412) 661-1400 to start the case review process today.
Define Your Eligibility for Social Security Disability Benefits
Before we get started on the process of applying for Social Security Disability benefits, review the SSA’s eligibility criteria. SSA requirements to qualify for SSD benefits are:
- The applicant had employment, which contributed the minimum annual number of work credits to the Social Security system.
- The applicant has a qualifying medical condition, according to SSA criteria.
- The applicant is expected to be unable to return to work for at least a year.
- The applicant is the widow, widower, or surviving divorced spouse of a qualifying applicant.
There may be other criteria that make an individual applicant eligible for Social Security Disability benefits. A Pataskala Social Security Disability lawyer will help determine whether you have a medically qualifying condition based on your current physical condition.
SSA Uses a Five-Step Determination Process
The process of qualifying for Social Security Disability uses a five-step determination process to identify eligible applicants. SSA’s five-step process reviews:
- Your employment history, if applicable
- The severity of your disability
- Evaluation of your impairment
- Your physical ability to work
- Your age, education, and experience
SSA administrators evaluate these criteria in chronological order to determine whether to move forward to the next eligibility step.
Pataskala Social Security Disability Lawyer Near Me (412) 661-1400
Start Compiling the Documents Your Case Requires
An important part of the application process is providing SSA administrators with required paperwork and documentation. Start building a file that contains the following:
- Birth certificate
- Proof of U.S. citizenship
- U.S. military discharge papers
- W-2 forms or self-employment tax returns, as applicable
- Any relevant medical records you have on hand
- Names and addresses of medical providers
- Proof of any temporary or permanent workers’ compensation or similar benefits
Maintain a conveniently located file with these and other documents you believe might be relevant to the application process. We will help you apply for disability once you have the forms required to comply with the Social Security Disability process.
Additional Information Your Disability Claim Might Require
In addition to the documents listed above, SSA administrators may also ask for other information. You may need to show proof of:
- Social Security number for yourself
- Date of birth and Social Security number for your spouse
- Names and dates of birth for your minor children
- Banking information, including routing and account numbers
- Details about your medical conditions, doctors, and treatment plans
- Employer and earnings information for the previous year
We know how trying it might be to navigate this process while you might still be coping with the physical damage of a long-term or permanent disability. Our legal team will work hard to make the road to Social Security Disability benefits as smooth as possible for our clients.
You Can Appeal a Denied Claim
If you believe you have a medical condition that qualifies for SSD benefits, but your claim was denied, you might still be able to receive compensation. After your claim is denied, we will help you begin the appeals process. The SSA has an appeals process that moves in a specific order:
- Hearing by an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ)
- Review by the Appeals Council
- Federal Court review
The appeals process may allow you to receive the Social Security Disability benefits you need and are entitled to collect.
Start the Social Security Disability Application Process Now
Applying for Social Security Disability benefits can be a lengthy procedure that can require paperwork, persistence, and patience. Start preparing your application for benefits as soon as you become aware of your need for them.
If you would like help navigating the process of applying for SSD benefits, a Pataskala Social Security Disability lawyer can serve as your advocate. Call (412) 661-1400 to reach a member of the Berger and Green client care team today.