If you or a loved one has a catastrophic disability that has made it difficult to work, you may be eligible to receive disability benefits to pay your medical bills and other living expenses. The Social Security Administration (SSA) operates several benefits programs that can provide you with ongoing financial assistance in the form of monthly payments that our Newton Falls social security disability lawyer wants to help you obtain.
At Berger and Green, we offer free consultations where you can discuss your needs with our team members and learn about your rights and options. You are under no obligation to retain our services. Whether you are considering applying for disability benefits or have received a denial, we can discuss where you are in the application process and take over from there.
SSDI Or SSI: Social Security Disability Lawyer Can Explain Your Options
If you have a disability preventing you from working, you can apply for social security benefits for financial relief. SSA runs two programs: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). An attorney can further explain which program you can seek payments from and if you are eligible to apply for both but here is a brief overview:
Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
SSDI is aimed at disabled individuals who have worked long enough and paid social security taxes on their income. Work history is essential to qualify for SSDI, as it lets you accumulate the required number of work credits to be eligible to apply for this program.
You must also have a qualifying physical or mental impairment that prevents you from engaging in any Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA), which in 2022 refers to any employment that provides an income over $1,350. The impairment must also be expected to last at least a year or cause death.
Supplemental Security Income
SSI is geared toward disabled, blind, or older individuals. This program is anchored on financial needs instead of work history. Applicants do not need any work credits to qualify for SSI. But their income must be below a certain amount, and they must own few assets.
We would love to sit with you and explain which program best matches your situation. If you are already receiving SSDI benefits, you may still qualify for SSI benefits if you need additional financial assistance.
For a free legal consultation with a social security disability lawyer serving Newton Falls, call 412-661-1400
How a Social Security Disability Lawyer Can Help with SSD Application Process
Many applicants are intimidated by the number of hours, energy, and other resources that go into getting a disability claim approved. We understand how difficult it is to receive a denial when your application for benefits is denied, it is important that you do not give up. Having the expertise of a Newton Falls Social Security Disability attorney by your side to appeal the denial can ease the stress of the appeals process.
Here are some ways an attorney can assist with the giving your Newton Falls disability benefits claim the best chance of receiving a favorable outcome:
- Filling out the SSDI and SSI-related paperwork and verifying the accuracy of all the information before submission
- Communicating with the SSA and DDS officials on your behalf
- Quickly requesting appeals if your claim is denied
- Preparing you for Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) hearing
- Building and then presenting a convincing case before the Judge
- Offering you legal guidance while keeping you updated every step of the way
Newton Falls Social Security Disability Lawyer Near Me 412-661-1400
Our Social Security Disability Lawyer Has Experience Appealing Denied Claims
If SSA denied your initial claim it is critical that you appeal the denial immediately. Remember that you only have 60 days to appeal the decision. If you miss this deadline, you’ll have to file a new application.
Our team at Berger and Green is here to help guide you through the application the SSDI and SSI’s four-level appeals process:
- Reconsideration: Once we request a reconsideration, a new Determination Disability Services (DDS) examiner will review all the information in your file and make a new decision.
- ALJ hearing: If your claim is rejected again, we can request a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge. During this face-to-face hearing, we will present all the relevant information before the Judge to showcase how debilitating your impairment is and the damage it has done to your life. We will also prepare you for any questions the Judge may have about your medical condition.
- Appeals Council: If the ALJ does not approve your claim, we can request a review from SSA’s Appeals Council.
- Federal Court Appeals: If the Appeals Council denies your claim or doesn’t grant a review, we can appeal your case through the Federal district court.
Our job as your social security disability lawyer does not stop after submitting your SSDI or SSI application. We will continue to work hard for you, fighting for your disability benefits and advocating on your behalf every step of the way. Our aim will always be to get your claim a successful outcome.
Contact Berger and Green Today
We understand that times are tough, and you need help now. Our team can begin working on your claim for Social Security disability benefits right away.
Reach out to our team at Berger and Green to learn more about how we can help you file a disability claim or appeal a denied claim. Let’s discuss your case – call now for a free confidential, no-obligation, consultation where our team members will review the facts and circumstances of your disability benefits case. We will explain your options, rights, and the different ways our attorneys can serve you. Don’t delay, contact us today.