Newark Social Security Disability Attorneys
Overcoming a disability can be a challenge for you and your loved ones. Especially if you need income to support your family and pay your bills. Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits may be available to you if your disability meets certain criteria.
Multiple trips to the doctor’s office, not being able to return to work, and bills piling up can become overwhelming very quickly. You may find yourself not sure where to turn for help.
The Social Security Administration (SSA) has benefit options for you if you qualify. The attorneys at Berger and Green can help you pursue the compensation you need. Call today at (412) 661-1400 for a free, no-hassle consultation to understand your options with SSD benefits.
For a free legal consultation with a social security disability lawyer serving Newark, call 412-661-1400
Common Qualifying Disabilities for Social Security Benefits
To meet the qualifications for disability benefits from the SSA and the Ohio OOD Division of Disability Determination, you must be able to provide medical documentation of a mental or physical impairment that prevents you from returning to an occupation. In Ohio, the impairment must last or be expected to last for longer than a year or be determined that the condition will lead to death.
The SSA offers what is called Compassionate Allowances to individuals who have been diagnosed with certain diseases or very severe conditions. This program typically cuts down on the wait time for individuals with these disabilities.
To be proven disabled, you must show:
- You cannot return to work that you did before
- You cannot adjust to a different type of work
- A significant limit in the ability to sit, walk, stand, or lift
- A significant lack of cognitive function such as being unable to remember
- A medical condition in any major body system that is so severe that you cannot perform substantial gainful activity
What Is a Substantial Gainful Activity?
The SSA defines substantial gainful activity as any significant mental or physical work that an individual gets paid or could get paid to do. Volunteer work and running a small business are a few examples.
What Is Residual Functional Capacity (RFC)?
When you file for disability benefits with the SSA, they may have you visit a doctor to evaluate your residual functional capacity. This refers to the maximum level at which you can perform despite your limitations. Your RFC will be assessed based on the relevant evidence of your case.
Newark Social Security Disability Lawyer Near Me 412-661-1400
Social Security Disability Benefit Options in Newark, OH
It is important for anyone that is considering applying for SSD benefits to understand the difference between the two types of available benefits: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
You and certain family members may be able to receive compensation through the SSDI program if you are considered “insured.” To be insured, you must have:
- Work history that is long enough and recent enough
- Paid Social Security taxes
- Medical proof of a qualifying disability
- Earned enough work credits
Your work history will determine how many work credits you have. How many credits you need to qualify are based on a few factors, including:
- Your age
- How recently you’ve earned SS credits
- How much you earned per year in a job covered by SS
SSDI benefits will be paid to you until you can return to work. “Work Incentives” offered by the program can also help your transition back to the workforce.
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
This program pays cash to the benefactor for basic necessities such as food, shelter, and clothing.
To be qualified for this program, you must:
- Be age 65 or older
- Blindness or vision impairment
- Meet the definition of disabled by the SSA
- Have limited resources such as cash and property
- Have limited income from any source
It is important to note that while SSDI does not consider income as a disqualifier for the program, SSI will take into account all sources of income.
Understanding your options when filing for Social Security benefits can be overwhelming and frustrating. We have assisted clients in the past get through this extensive process, and we’re proud of the results we have achieved. Call the office of Berger and Green today at (412) 661-1400 for a free consultation with a Social Security Disability (SSD) lawyer in Newark, OH.
You Have Options if You Have Been Denied Benefits
You only have a short time, generally 60 days, to file an appeal when you have been denied benefits. The following documents and information will need to be prepared if you intend to submit an appeal with the SSA:
- Forms, identification of treating medical providers, written statements, and any other supporting documents
- Medical conditions, work, education, and daily activities that may have changed
- Current medications
- Doctor and hospital information
- Any new clinical tests or medical treatments
At Berger and Green, we have helped many clients file an appeal following a denial from the SSA. Whether you are just starting the appeal process or have already filed for an appeal, we can still represent your case.
Let us investigate why your disability claim was denied. Call (412) 661-1400 for a free consultation following a denial notice from the SSA.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact a Social Security Disability (SSD) Lawyer in Newark, OH
Our team at Berger and Green can help you in the step-by-step process that the SSA requires for filing and proving a disability claim.
A Social Security Disability (SSD) lawyer in Newark, OH can:
- Help you understand the benefits for which you may qualify
- Explain the application process to you
- Help you apply
- Review your application to make sure it is filled out correctly
- Make sure you have the contact information of your doctors
Call Berger and Green at (412) 661-1400 for a free consultation of your disability case. We are proud of the 40 years of experience we offer and the results we have achieved for our clients.