The Social Security Administration (SSA) recognizes lupus as a potentially disabling condition. If you or a loved one in Weirton, WV, have lupus, you could receive compensation from the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) program, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or both.
Obtaining benefits from the SSA is not always as straightforward as it should be. However, a Weirton Social Security Disability lawyer from Berger and Green can file your application for SSDI or SSI or handle an appeal should the SSA deny your initial claim.
The SSA Classifies Lupus as a Potentially Disabling Condition
The SSA recognizes lupus as one of several immune system disorders that could qualify someone for disability benefits. Among the symptoms that could qualify you for Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits include the following:
- Severe fatigue
- Cognitive “lupus fog”
- Cardiovascular and circulatory problems
- Inflammatory arthritis
For a free legal consultation with a Lupuis lawyer serving Weirton, call 412-661-1400
A Lawyer From Berger and Green Will Work to Prove Your Lupus Entitles You to Benefits
When you hire a lawyer to lead your lupus-related disability application in Weirton, WV, we intend to perform these tasks:
- Gathering all relevant information about your condition
- Proving the nature of your condition to the SSA
- Obtaining fair SSDI or SSI benefits for your lupus diagnosis
As we work to secure the disability benefits you deserve, we will:
- Obtain medical documentation: We must document your lupus to prove the condition limits your ability to work. Thus, our attorneys might rely on doctors’ diagnoses, photographs of visible lupus symptoms (like skin conditions), and records of lupus-related emergency visits as proof of your disability.
- Examine your work credits: While the SSA (p.6) notes that older individuals sometimes require 40 work credits (about 10 years of work) to qualify for SSDI, we generally find applications are eligible with 20 credits (or five years of work).
- Provide work history data: Since the SSA considers work history when determining your eligibility for SSDI benefits, we will include any relevant employment history with your application.
- File your application with the SSA: The Berger and Green team files our clients’ applications to ensure accuracy, completeness, and prompt filing.
- Respond to the SSA’s approval or denial letter: We hope you receive a Benefit Verification letter from the SSA on the first try. However, we’ll be prepared to act quickly if the SSA denies your application, requests additional documentation, or requires us to take some other action.
- File and complete any necessary appeal: If an appeal becomes necessary during your application process, our team serving the Northern Panhandle will file and oversee your appeal.
The SSA explains that once it approves an application for SSDI benefits, it could take as much as five months to receive your first benefits payment. Thus, time is of the essence, as you likely need compensation right now. Waiting any longer to retain an attorney and file your application will only prolong the potential receipt of benefits.
Am I Required to Hire a Lawyer to Help With an SSD Application?
You are not required to hire an attorney to assist with your SSD benefits application. However, you should consider the steps involved in the application or appeals process. In addition, you would need to do the following:
- Handle every step in the application by yourself (which you may find difficult if you’re unfamiliar with the process, strapped for time, or limited in any way).
- Keep your lupus symptoms at bay while handling a potentially stressful process.
- Gather and organize employment documents and medical records.
- Manage communications with SSA representatives, including letters, phone calls, and emails.
- File and complete an appeal if necessary.
Many of our SSD clients in Weirton, WV, and throughout the Northern Panhandle don’t have the knowledge, time, or energy to manage their application or appeal. Instead, they find it worthwhile to have our attorneys and paralegals fight for the benefits they deserve.
Weirton Lupuis Lawyer Near Me 412-661-1400
Why Clients Hire Their SSD Lawyer From Berger and Green
Clients hire Berger and Green for several reasons, including the following:
- Our familiarity with SSD applications: We have helped many applicants receive the SSDI and SSI benefits they sought. When we take over your application, we’ll leverage our experience and SSD-specific knowledge in your favor.
- Our low-risk fee structure: You won’t pay Berger and Green anything upfront. Instead, our attorneys only receive a fee if they secure your benefits. This arrangement means our firm accepts all the financial risk.
- Our client service: Our team counsels clients compassionately, understanding that a lupus diagnosis is a heavy burden to carry. We will treat you respectfully and show your application the attention it warrants.
One client sums up the client experience at Berger and Green:
“They were just very compassionate and understanding, and they let me speak. They let me explain what was going on. They took the time, they took the effort, and it was just, you know, a phenomenal experience.” — Arthur.
While most of our clients do not regularly deal with the SSA, our team navigates the SSD application process daily. So, allow us to lend our experience to you.
Hire a Weirton Lupus Lawyer from Berger and Green as Soon as Possible—Call Today
The sooner we start your application for SSD benefits, the sooner you might receive those benefits. We will begin work on your application or appeal today, putting our more than 40 years of experience to work for you. So, let a Weirton lupus lawyer from our team take over the fight for the compensation you need to maintain your household’s financial health.
Contact Berger and Green today for your free consultation.