Disability benefits are available for individuals who suffer from a mental or physical impairment that prevents them from being able to earn a living or provide for their families. If you are considering applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or have had your application recently denied, a Poland social security disability lawyer can use their expertise to help you obtain monthly disability benefit payments.
Our team at Berger and Green is here to guide you through the entire application filing and administrative appeals process. From filling out the proper forms and ensuring accuracy to representing you during hearings, our social security disability lawyers can be there at every step, undertaking the legal legwork in getting your claim approved.
Verifying Your Eligibility for the Disability Benefits Program
Many Poland residents become disabled and unable to rejoin the workforce. Social Security disability programs can be an indispensable lifeline for individuals struggling with significant physical and mental impairment. The Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) programs are both operated by the Social Security Administration (SSA).
What is SSDI?
Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is based on your work history. It is a federal insurance program that provides a monthly payment to disabled workers who previously contributed to the Social Security trust fund through Social Security taxes. To qualify for SSDI, candidates must be:
- Under the age of 65
- Have a specific number of work credits
- Must have a medical condition that meets SSA’s definition of disability
SSDI payments are for those workers whose disability is expected to last at least a year or result in death. Further, the medical condition must prevent you from engaging in Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) which is employment that brings in more than $1,350 in 2022.
Berger and Green can help assess whether your impairment adheres to SSA’s definition of disability. We can also explain the evidence you will need to prove to SSA and the Department of Developmental Disabilities (DDS) that your medical condition is severe enough to impede your ability to work and earn an income.
What is SSI?
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a needs-based benefit program that does not require applicants to have accumulated any work credits. This program is for individuals who are older, blind, or have a qualifying disability and have limited income and few assets. Older adults with low income who do not have a disability, and thus cannot qualify for SSDI, are encouraged to apply for SSI if financial assistance is needed.
A Poland social security disability lawyer can explain which benefits program you are eligible to apply to after we learn more about you and your circumstances.
For a free legal consultation with a Social Security Disability lawyer serving Poland, call 412-661-1400
How a Social Security Disability Lawyer Can Help Manage Your Application Process
The SSD benefits application process is very time consuming, rarely does it end right after the initial application is submitted. In fact, the majority of the initial applications receive a denial. Having an attorney by your side during this phase can help you to remain stress-free, knowing you have an experienced attorney working on appealing the denial so you can have another chance at winning approval.
Some of the ways an attorney can work to strengthen the quality of your disability claim include:
- Preparing the paperwork, such as filling out the SSDI and SSI applications and double-checking the data to ensure there are no mistakes or omitted information.
- Communicating with the SSA officials on your behalf.
- If your application is denied, identify the reason for the denial to work towards revising the case with more information.
- Filing a request for reconsideration or an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) hearing or review within 60 days of receiving the decision letter.
- Preparing you for a hearing before the ALJ.
- Representing you during the hearing and other proceedings.
- Offering you legal guidance through the process to protect your rights.
Poland Social Security Disability Lawyer Near Me 412-661-1400
Was Your Disability Claim Denied? Get Help to Appeal the Decision
The path to obtaining disability benefits is fraught with complicated laws and regulations, often leaving qualified applicants with denial letters. If your application was denied, know that you have the right to appeal the decision but you only have 60 days from the date you receive the decision letter to make that appeal. A Social Security disability attorney can help you navigate the four levels of the appeals process to get the results you need.
If your SSI or SSDI application did not make it past the initial determination stage, here are the four stages of appeals available to you:
- Reconsideration: At this stage, a new Disability Determination Services (DDS) examiner who was not involved in evaluating your application the first time will assess your case. He/she will consider all the previously submitted and any new evidence to place a verdict on your claim.
- ALJ hearing: If the DDS examiner denies your disability claim in the reconsideration stage, you can request a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ). This Judge is independent of DDS and presides over federal administrative hearings. An attorney can prepare you for this hearing so you can accurately and convincingly convey to the Judge how the disability has negatively impacted your life.
- Appeals Council Review: If the ALJ denies the claim, you can request a review by the Appeals Council, which comprises numerous ALJs, Appeals Officers, and support personnel. If they grant the request for a review, the council will review your file and decide to uphold, modify, or reverse the previous ALJ decision. They may also forward your case to another ALJ for further evaluation.
- Federal Court Review: If you do not agree with the Appeals Council’s decision or if they did not grant a review, you can then file a civil lawsuit in the Federal District Court.
While you do not need a social security disability lawyer to appeal a denial, enlisting an experienced attorney for the appeals process helps to ensure no errors are made or overlooked, and you have legal representation during hearings.
Seek the Expertise of a Poland Social Security Disability Lawyer Today
The law firm of Berger and Green is here to fight for the disability benefits needed to get you back on your feet. With over 40 years of experience handling numerous disability benefits applications, we are familiar with why claims get denied or delayed. We aim to ensure that every deserving applicant has skilled legal representation to help achieve a successful outcome for their claim.Our team at Berger and Green is here to help explain all the options available to you and answer any questions you may have. We urge you to contact us today to schedule a confidential and free consultation.