- A Canton Social Security Disability Lawyer From Berger and Greene Can Explain Your Options
- A Canton Social Security Disability Attorney Can Verify That Your Disability Qualifies You for Benefits
- If SSA Denies Your Claim, Let a Canton SSD Attorney Appeal the Decision
- How a Social Security Disability Attorney Serving Canton Can Help With Your Case
- Reach Out to a Canton Social Security Disability Law Firm to Discuss Your Case
Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits intend to provide financial relief to individuals unable to work due to severe, disabling impairment. However, applying for benefits can be challenging, and any errors made in the application can lead to denials and unnecessary delays.
A Canton Social Security Disability lawyer from Berger and Green can help you understand your options and handle the application and appeals process. From filing the claim with accurate information to preparing and representing you for the hearing, we can help you from start to finish and fight to obtain the benefits you deserve.
A Canton Social Security Disability Lawyer From Berger and Greene Can Explain Your Options
The Social Security Administration (SSA) offers two benefits programs for individuals with severe disabilities: Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- SSDI is geared towards workers with physical and mental disabilities that hinder their ability to earn enough income. SSDI is an earned benefit — you must have worked long enough and recently enough and paid Social Security taxes.
- SSI pays a monthly benefit to individuals whose income and assets fall under a certain threshold.
A Canton Social Security Disability lawyer from our law firm can review your medical and employment history and other facts to ascertain which program you should pursue for assistance.
For a free legal consultation with a Personal Injury lawyer serving Canton, call 412-661-1400
A Canton Social Security Disability Attorney Can Verify That Your Disability Qualifies You for Benefits
SSA has a stringent definition of disability that you must meet to qualify for SSDI benefits. Specifically, you must meet the following three criteria:
- You cannot perform your previous job
- Your disability is severe enough to prevent you from performing another job
- Your disability is expected to last at least 12 months or result in death
The SSA uses a medical document known as the Blue Book to assess the eligibility of different disabilities. The Blue Book contains multiple sections for different body systems, each with a corresponding list of disabling conditions. You must meet certain criteria to qualify for disability benefits.
You must provide concrete medical evidence to show that you have a specific condition that meets SSA’s definition of disability. We can help you complete the claim in detail and provide a thorough list of your healthcare providers, so Disability Determination Services (DDS) can gather as much information as possible. We will also help you submit all supplemental documents necessary to support your claim.
Canton Social Security Disability Lawyer Near Me 412-661-1400
If SSA Denies Your Claim, Let a Canton SSD Attorney Appeal the Decision
Unfortunately, most disability applicants must navigate the appeals process to have their claim approved. The appeals system is multi-tiered; if your application is denied in one stage, you can move on to the next stage and request an appeal again within 60 days.
Per SSA, the SSD benefits process encompasses the following stages:
- Initial application: We will help you file the initial application and provide SSA with all the supporting documents required for your claim’s processing. SSA will verify your non-medical information and then send the application to DDS, where an examiner will review the provided information and medical records to determine the impact of your disability on your ability to earn a living. They will then notify you whether your claim is approved or denied.
- Request for reconsideration: If SSA denies your initial claim, you can file a reconsideration request. This means a different DDS examiner will review your initial application and any new information you provide and decide whether to reject or approve your claim.
- ALJ hearing: If SSA denies your claim again, you can request a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ). You have the greatest chance of getting approved at this stage. Here, you have the opportunity to inform a Judge of how your disability has impacted your life. We can help you present a convincing case during the ALJ hearing.
- Appeals Council: If you disagree with the Judge’s decision, we can ask the Appeals Council to review your case. The Appeals Council may deny or dismiss your request if it feels ALJ’s decision complied with SSA’s laws and regulations. However, if it finds any errors, the Appeals Council may issue a new decision or send it back to the ALJ for further evaluation.
- Federal court: The next step is federal court if the Appeals Council rejects your claim again.
Working with a Social Security Disability attorney serving Canton, Pennsylvania from the start can ensure you file your appeal(s) on time and include all the proper documentation.
How a Social Security Disability Attorney Serving Canton Can Help With Your Case
Having a Canton Social Security Disability attorney handle your claim can be much less stressful than navigating the complex SSD system alone. Your attorney will know the best ways to present your case in the most favorable light.
Here are a few specific ways we will serve you with your claim or appeal:
- Ensure that you correctly fill out and submit all paperwork within the deadlines
- Highlight the critical facets of your claim that may encourage SSA to approve your claim
- Review why SSA denied your claim and advise you on any missing evidence that may strengthen your case
- Prepare you for your ALJ hearing to ensure you can help them understand the extent and severity of your disability
- Represent you at your hearing
Let us put our more than 40 years of experience behind your claim.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Reach Out to a Canton Social Security Disability Law Firm to Discuss Your Case
We understand your need for financial assistance when a disability strips away your ability to provide for yourself and your family. A Canton SSD attorney from our team will fight for the benefits you need and deserve.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation. A Berger and Green team member will review your case, inform you of your rights and options, and discuss how we can help you in your journey to seek disability benefits.