Cold weather is here and slip and fall accidents are on the rise.
When the outside conditions become icy and wet, trying to avoid a fall can be quite difficult. Each year, accidental slip and falls cause thirty thousand serious injuries and twenty thousand deaths.
Poor or careless maintenance of sidewalks, parking lots and roads can quickly become dangerous for pedestrians.
In some cases, there is a way to pursue compensation after a slip and fall on an isolated patch of ice. Pennsylvania laws require property owners to maintain their property and keep them free from dangerous defects. An experienced attorney can review your case and determine if your injuries occurred because of a property defect.
Property owners must maintain sidewalks and other walkways and keep them free from unreasonable hazards.
Below are a few steps you should take after being involved in a slip and fall accident. It is important to try and follow these tips to have a successful claim against the at fault party.
- Medical Treatment: No matter how minor your fall may have been, seeking medical attention is important to diagnose any underlying injuries that might not be immediately apparent. It is important to document your medical treatment, keep copies of medical records and bills and follow your doctor’s orders.
- Report Your Fall: If you had your slip and fall on someone else’s property, it is important to report the accident to the property owner or business.
- Documentation: Take pictures of the accident scene and of your injuries. Try and take note of the area where you fell and why. For example: substances on the floor, uneven pavement or loose debris.
- Protect Yourself: Do not discuss your fall/case with too many people and especially on social media. The negligent party typically does not have your best interest in mind.
- Contact an Attorney: Contact an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible to review your claim. It is important to hold negligent parties accountable for your injuries.
Slip falls are one of the most common injury claims pursued during the winter months. These types of accidents can often lead to serious injuries which means costly medical bills and missed time from work.
Recovering compensation after a slip and fall accident.
For a free legal consultation, call 412-661-1400
If the owner of the property failed to maintain, take appropriate precautions, or fix a known problem that contributed to the fall, a personal injury claim may be pursued. If you or someone you know were injured in a slip and fall accident, contact the personal injury attorneys at Berger and Green at 412-661-1400 for a free no obligation consultation.