Injured on Someone’s Property: What You need To Know
An accident can occur just about anywhere. Sadly, we cannot always be prepared for these things to happen; however, we can be prepared for how to handle them after.
If you were injured on someone else’s property, do not immediately assume the blame.
There are many unseen factors that could have caused your accident to take place.
That is why it is always a good idea to contact an attorney if you have sustained injuries in an accident and have questions.
What is Premise Liability?
Property owners have a duty to effectively manage, supervise and operate their property to protect the public from unnecessary risk of harm. If they fail to do so, and someone gets injured, a premise liability case may exist.
Some of the most common premise liability claims we see are:
- Slip-and-fall accidents.
- Stairwell falls.
- Swimming pool accidents.
- Dog bites.
- Negligent security measures.
- Farm accidents.
- Amusement Park accidents.
- Injuries from falling objects.
- Collapsed decks and structures.
- Fire and smoke inhalation injuries.
- Other residential and commercial property injuries.
What Should I Know If I was Injured on Someone’s Property?
Although property owners are expected to take precautions to prevent unnecessary risk of harm to others, they are not expected to make their property accident proof.
To have a successful premise liability claim, you must prove that the property owner was negligent, or failed to take the necessary steps to keep their property safe.
This is why premise liability cases can become complex. One thing victims can do to help build their case is to preserve any evidence they can of the scene/time of accident.
- Notify property owners of the incident immediately. Whether it was at a person’s home or a public place such as restaurant, it is key to document the incident right away.
- Take as many pictures as you can of the scene.
- If possible, obtain witnesses information.
- Seek medical treatment. The injuries will then be reported in your medical records which can be used for your claim.
- Contact an experienced premise liability attorney to help build your case.
Recovering Compensation After an Injury.
If you were injured on someone else’s property and want to understand what your rights are, contact the experienced personal injury attorneys at Berger and Green.
Premise Liability cases are time-sensitive and need to be addressed before any evidence can be repaired or disposed of.
Contact Berger and Green today for a free evaluation of your case.