Blank Social Security Card

How to Replace Your Social Security Card Online.

If you need to replace your Social Security card, you can now do so online.

You can use the Social Security Administration’s free online services to make this request if you are only replacing your card and making no other changes.

Requesting a replacement card is not available in all states. As of now, you cannot replace a card if you live in the following states: Alabama, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Oregon and West Virginia.

You must use your My Social Security Account on the SSA’s website to request your new Social Security card.

How do I set up My Social Security Account?

  • To set up an account you will need a valid email address. If you do not currently have an email address you will have to create one. Some examples of valid and free email providers are AOL, Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo. 
  • Once you have a valid email address visit and select “Sign In/Up” located in the top right corner.
  • You will be redirected to a new screen. Once you get to this screen click on “Create a new account” which is located at the bottom of the page.
  • Next, you will have to provide some personal information to verify your identity.
  • Lastly, you will be asked to create a username and password to access your account.

Once you create your account, you can then easily request your replacement card online if you meet the following criteria:

  • Are a U.S. citizen age 18 or older with a U.S. mailing address (this includes APO, FPO, and DPO addresses.)
  • Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card.
  • Have a driver’s license or state-issued identification card from any of the participating states or the District of Columbia.

You can click here to be taken to the SSA’s website and begin requesting your new card online.

Getting Help With Your Social Security Disability Benefits

For a free legal consultation, call (412) 661-1400

If you are considering applying for either SSD or SSI benefits, or have been denied these benefits and need representation, do not delay.  Contact an experienced Social Security Disability Attorney. Call the Social Security Disability attorneys at Berger and Green at 412-661-1400 for a free no obligation consultation to discuss your claim.

Source:, “Request a Replacement Social Security Number (SSN) Card Online”

Call or text (412) 661-1400 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form