There are nearly 850,000 licensed motorcyclists in Pennsylvania.
PennDOT has created a comprehensive motorcycle safety campaign called, Live Free Ride Alive.
The campaign was designed to reduce the number of motorcycle crashes and fatalities on Pennsylvania’s roadways.
Warmer weather means more motorcycles on the road. A significant number of motorcycle accidents are caused by an error made by the driver of a car, truck or SUV.
Drivers of motor vehicles tend to merge into lanes without seeing a motorcyclist which then causes an accident. Also, drivers turning in front of motorcycles is a common way an accident occurs. Drivers do not realize that motorcyclists cannot slow down as easily as a vehicle can.
How Drivers Can Protect Motorcyclists:
- When switching lanes or merging into traffic, look thoroughly to make sure there is not a motorcycle in your blind spot.
- Drivers should show extra caution at intersections. Frequent crashes occur when a driver fails to see a motorcyclist and turns left in front of a motorcycle.
- If you are turning in front of a motorcycle, make sure you have plenty of time.
- Keep a safe distance when riding behind a motorcycle.
- Be aware that motorcycles are small and difficult to see. Check mirrors and blind spot often.
How Motorcyclists Can Help Protect Themselves:
- Wear a helmet, eye protection and protective clothing.
- Never drink and drive.
- Make yourself seen by wearing reflective clothing or using reflective tape on your bike.
- Obey all speed limits.
- Give yourself space so you have time to react.
- Consider enrolling in a motorcycle safety program.
- Use turn signals for every turn or lane change.
Although in Pennsylvania, you are not required to wear a helmet by law, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) studies have shown that motorcyclists who wear a helmet are 37% less likely to die in a motorcycle crash and 67% less likely to suffer from a traumatic brain injury in a crash.
Recovering compensation after an accident.
For a free legal consultation, call 412-661-1400
When a motorcyclist is involved in an accident, the injuries they sustain can be life threatening. If you or a loved one suffered serious injuries in a motorcycle accident, do not assume the accident was your fault. You may have the right to recover money for medical bills, wage loss and pain and suffering.
Contact the attorneys at Berger and Green at 412-661-1400 for a free no obligation consultation to discuss your case today.
Source: PennDOT, “Motorcycle Safety.”