When you are hurt in an accident that was not your fault, you have the right to pursue financial compensation from the at-fault party. This is true not only for auto accidents, but for any type of accident in which you sustain an injury, including slip and fall accidents, medical mistakes, and accidents caused by defective products.
It is important that you understand your rights, the personal injury claims process, and how to make sure you are compensated appropriately for your harms. For a free consultation with a West Mifflin personal lawyer that can answer all your questions about a personal injury case, call Berger and Green at 412-661-1400.
What constitutes a personal injury case?
To have a valid personal injury case, you must be able to establish several fundamental elements:
- Duty of care: The party you are filing against (i.e., the defendant) must have owed you a legal duty of care, which simply means it had a duty to exercise reasonable care so as not to cause you harm. For instance, doctors owe their patients a duty of care, just like drivers owe other road users a duty of care.
- Breach of duty: The defendant must have somehow breached his/her duty of care, i.e., acted in a negligent or careless manner. If a doctor prescribed you the wrong medication or a driver drove while intoxicated, s/he would have “breached his/her duty of care” and would be negligent.
- Causation: Your injuries must be a result of the defendant’s negligence. Using medical evidence, for instance, you can show that your injuries arose from the wrong medication and not something else. Similarly, a police report and eyewitness reports can prove that a drunk driver’s reckless actions caused the collision.
- Damages: You must also have sustained actual harm from the defendant’s actions that you can prove with medical records, bills, receipts, etc. After all, the primary purpose of a personal injury claim is to collect damages (i.e., financial awards) for your losses and expenses
Do I need an attorney for my personal injury case in West Mifflin?
When you file a personal injury claim for a serious injury, there is a lot of stake. Your claim could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars or more, so it is important to ensure you follow the right steps and maximize your damages.
If you have been seriously injured in an accident, your recovery must be your priority. In addition to multiple doctor appointments, you may also be facing a loss of income because you cannot work. It is understandable that the complexities of Pennsylvania personal injury law is too much for you to handle on your own. Having an attorney manage your personal injury case will ensure you handle everything correctly and in a timely manner.
Our lawyers at Berger and Green have been representing personal injury victims for over 40 years. We make sure our clients’ stories are heard and fight for the justice and compensation they deserve. We protect our clients from insurance companies’ sneaky tactics. If the insurer tries to undermine your injuries or pin the fault on you, you might not know how to handle the situation effectively. But skilled personal injury lawyers such as ours do.
Using our training, education, tenacity, and tried-and-true legal strategies we have developed throughout the years, we know how to argue our clients’ cases and successfully protect their rights. We demand — and usually obtain — full and fair compensation awards to provide for our clients’ future needs.
What types of personal injury cases does Berger and Green handle?
Our firm accepts all types of personal injury cases in West Mifflin and the surrounding areas. Below are just a few examples of cases we manage:
- Auto accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Dog bites
- Medical malpractice/pharmacy malpractice
- PNC Park, Heinz Field, and Idlewild Amusement Park accidents
- Snowboarding, skiing, and snowmobile accidents
- Defective products
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Children’s injuries
- Nursing home injuries, abuse, and neglect
- Elevator accidents
- Work and industrial accidents
What kinds of damages can I recover?
Personal injury claims are meant to “make the victim whole” again. Essentially, this means that your damage award is supposed to put you back in the same place financially as if you had never been involved the accident. If you win your claim, you can collect compensation for all your monetary and non-monetary losses related to your accident.
Some of the compensable damages you may be entitled to include those for:
- Current and future medical bills
- Physical therapy, rehabilitative care, and alternative medical treatments
- Loss of wages, loss of promotion, and long-term disability
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Household services
- Property damage
- Mental health services for emotional harm
- The effect of your injuries on your marriage (e.g., loss of consortium)
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of qualify of life
How do I get started with my personal injury claim in West Mifflin?
After you have tended to your immediate medical needs, contact our office and schedule a consultation. During our initial meeting, we will listen to your story, examine the facts of your accident, and determine if you have a promising case.
Should you decide to work with us, we will start collecting the evidence necessary to prove liability and begin working on the claim for the insurance company. We will also make a comprehensive list of your current and future losses so that your settlement award is sufficient. You can help your case by sharing any evidence you have with us regarding your accident, collecting all your bills and receipts, and staying up-to-date with your medical treatment.
To get started with your personal injury claim, call Berger and Green today at 412-661-1400. We look forward to serving you.