If you have suffered harm as a result of another party’s negligence, Pennsylvania personal injury law provides that you can hold the at-fault party liable for your losses. You have the right to pursue compensation for your harms by filing a personal injury claim. A Duquesne, PA personal injury lawyer at Berger and Green can help
Call 412-661-1400 and request a free consultation to discuss your case and find out how we can help you collect the restitution you deserve after an accident.
Do I have a valid personal injury case?
If you recently sustained an injury that was not your fault, you may be qualified to file a personal injury claim. To have a valid claim that the insurer or court will honor, you must be able to establish the following four elements:
- Duty of care: The party that you are filing against (the defendant) owed you a duty of care (i.e., a duty to act in a reasonably safe manner so as not to cause you harm). Drivers, for example, owe all other road users a duty of care. They have a legal responsibility to drive safely so they do not hurt others.
- Negligence: The defendant breached her duty of care or acted in a negligent manner. When a driver texts while driving, speeds, or drives while under the influence, the insurer or court will likely consider her actions negligence.
- Causation: The defendant’s negligence was the cause of your injuries. You must be able to demonstrate the link between the defendant’s actions and your injury. For instance, you can assert that if it were not for the defendant’s drinking and driving, the crash and your injuries would not have occurred.
- Damages: You must have sustained actual, compensable harms (legal injuries) that you can prove using medical records, receipts, and testimony. Damages can be physical, emotional, and financial losses.
Our team would be happy to evaluate the validity of your case — for free.
What kinds of damages can I collect with an injury claim?
Damages are the monetary awards (money) you receive when you win your personal injury case. There are two types of damages you can pursue when you file a personal injury claim:
- Compensatory damages: Compensatory damages essentially compensate you for actual losses you sustained. These include both monetary losses such as medical bills and loss of wages, and non-monetary losses such as emotional injuries and pain and suffering.
- Non-compensatory damages: Non-compensatory or punitive damages are not meant to reimburse you for your losses, but rather to punish the defendant for wrongdoing and deter future misconduct. Courts only award non-compensatory damages in cases in which the defendant’s conduct was malicious, particularly reckless, wanton, or willful, oppressive.
Berger and Green can evaluate your case and help you estimate the value of your claim. We can help you demand and collect fair and full compensation for your losses.
Do I need a personal injury lawyer in Duquesne?
Having a personal injury lawyer in Duquesne at Berger and Green help you with your case will be of enormous benefit. Because our attorneys are well trained in personal injury law and have over 40 years’ experience, you have someone in your corner who knows what to expert at every turn.
We are a full-service firm, so we can assist you with all the stressful legal and insurance issues so that you can focus on getting better. We can:
- Explain your rights and responsibilities regarding your case.
- Identify liability and find out which insurance company to send the claim to.
- File paperwork, forms, and records with the appropriate agencies.
- Collect evidence to support your claim.
- Assess the value of your case, explain your story and losses to the insurer clearly, and demand appropriate damages.
- Stand up to the insurers if they try to lowball you or pin fault on you, and negotiate with them for more money.
- Keep you informed about the status of your case and share any offers the defendant makes.
- Take your case to court if we cannot reach a fair settlement.
What types of personal injury cases does Berger and Green accept?
We accept all types of personal injury cases in Duquesne and the surrounding areas. Some of the cases we can assist you with include the following:
- Auto accidents: We handle all types of motor vehicle accident cases, including those involving passenger cars, semi-trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians.
- Premises liability: If you were injured on a person or business’s property, such as in a slip and fall, dog attack, or building fire, we can help you file a premises liability claim.
- Product liability: We hold manufacturers and other parties along the supply chain liable when they put defective or dangerous products on the market that hurt consumers.
- Medical malpractice: When a medical provider, such as a doctor, hospital, clinic, or pharmacy, makes unreasonable mistakes and you have suffered the consequences, we can hold it accountable for its behavior.
- Acts of violence: If your injuries were the result of someone’s purposeful, malicious conduct, such as a rape, assault, or shooting, we can file an injury claim in civil court and ask the court to make the wrongdoer pay for the harm he has caused.
Get a FREE consult with a Duquesne personal injury lawyer.
The first step to pursuing compensation for your losses is to run your case by one of our caring, qualified Duquesne personal injury lawyers. At Berger and Green, we offer free consultations to injured victims and you are under no obligation to use our services.
We can evaluate your case and explain what your next steps are. Should you decide to work with us, we will invest our time and resources into pursuing your case and fight for the highest settlement or verdict possible. Contact us today at 412-661-1400 to schedule a meeting at your convenience.