Motorcycle riders know they take certain risks on the road every time they ride. But if a negligent or reckless driver caused your motorcycle accident in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, you may be able to hold them accountable in an injury claim or lawsuit. A lawyer at Berger and Green who handles motorcycle accidents in Johnstown can investigate the details of your case, gather evidence, determine liability, and hold the at-fault party to account.
You should not have to suffer the physical, emotional, and financial burden of a motorcycle accident on your own. The first step is to identify the responsible party and hold them legally accountable for your injuries and losses. Our personal injury team is here to help you do that during this difficult time.
Compensable Damages You Could Recover in a Motorcycle Accident in Johnstown
You could recover two types of damages in a successful insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit: economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are the financial losses you are facing due to the motorcycle accident. They may include:
- Current and future medical expenses: These include the medical costs you incurred right after the accident (e.g., ambulance transport, hospitalization, surgeries, medical assistive devices, prescription medications). In addition, you could receive a payout for medical costs you may need for the future (e.g., rehabilitation, physical therapy, nursing services).
- Lost income: This includes the time you missed from work due to your accident-related injuries (e.g., doctor appointments).
- Lost earning capacity: This would cover the amount you would have earned had you not been injured in the motorcycle crash (e.g., bonuses, promotions, no longer able to perform current job duties).
- Property damage: This includes the cost of repairing or replacing your motorcycle and any other personal property damaged in the crash.
Non-economic damages are less tangible losses you suffered as a result of the accident and could include:
- Pain and suffering: You may encounter pain every day after the accident that now prevents you from driving to work or picking your children up from school.
- Emotional anguish: Not being able to perform these daily activities may take a toll on your mental state and may even require psychological counseling.
- Disfigurement or scarring: Your appearance may be permanently changed or altered following the accident.
- Loss of enjoyment of activities: You may no longer be able to exercise at the gym or play tennis as a result of your accident-related injuries.
- Loss of consortium: These are losses you suffered if you lost a spouse or partner as a result of the accident.
You might be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit if a loved one passed away due to the negligent acts of another. An attorney who handles motorcycle accident cases at Berger and Green can review your case for free and determine if this applies in your unique case.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accident lawyer serving Johnstown, call 412-661-1400
Proving Negligence in Your Motorcycle Accident Case
Your lawyer will have to prove the four elements of negligence to hold the liable party accountable and pursue a fair settlement. Those elements are:
- Duty – The at-fault party owed you a duty of care to operate safely and keep others from harm on the road.
- Breach – The at-fault party breached that duty of care, and you were harmed as a result.
- Causation – That breach caused your injuries and other losses.
- Damages – You now have damages as a result of the motorcycle accident.
Your Johnstown lawyer at our firm can collect evidence, prove negligence, determine liability, and build a strong case on your behalf. The personal injury team at Berger and Green can answer your questions and start working on your case right away.
Johnstown Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 412-661-1400
Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury Cases in Johnstown
Keep in mind that most states set a limit on the amount of time you have to file a personal injury lawsuit in civil court. In Pennsylvania, you have two years from the date of the accident, according to PA CSA §5524. If you miss your window to file, a judge could dismiss your case and squash your chances to seek compensation.
A lawyer who handles motorcycle accident cases at Berger and Green can ensure all paperwork is filed with the court on time. This way, you can focus on healing and getting back on your feet.
Injuries You Could Sustain in a Motorcycle Accident in Johnstown
According to the most recent National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) statistics, nearly 5,000 motorcyclists were killed in traffic accidents in 2018. An estimated 82,000 riders were left injured. Injuries you could sustain in a motorcycle accident may vary from moderate to severe and could leave you with long-term disabilities and permanent damage.
Common types of injuries you could suffer in a motorcycle accident include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord injuries (paralysis)
- Bone fractures
- Ligament tears and ruptures
- Internal organ damage
- Head and neck injuries
- Road rash
These types of injuries are very serious and could require weeks, months, or even years of treatment and rehabilitation. You could be dealing with chronic pain from the accident. Your injuries may have affected your ability to work or continue your current career.
A lawyer from our firm who handles motorcycle accident cases in Johnstown and the surrounding area can ensure all of your damages are included in your claim or lawsuit. We never want to see a motorcycle accident victim accept a settlement offer that does not cover all of the monetary recovery needed to move forward.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call a Berger and Green Team Member Today
Our founding partner, Laurence B. Green, has more than 40 years of experience handling personal injury cases. Our team is ready to get to work for you. Call to discuss your case with a team member today. The call is free, and there is no obligation.