The consumer group, World Against Toys Causing Harm, also known as W.A.T.C.H., has released their list of the “Top 10 Summer Safety Traps” for children this summer. These toys are unsafe due to their design and hazardous parts that could potentially make them harmful to children.
According to reports from W.A.T.C.H., almost all children deaths resulting from an injury occur in the summer months. Emergency rooms treat roughly 2.5 million injured children in the summer.
Keep in mind, this is only a short list of toys and represents one group’s findings. According to the Toy Industry Association, all toys for sale on U.S. shelves go through some of the strictest safety requirements in the world.
W.A.T.C.H.’s complete list of “Top 10 Summer Safety Traps” for 2018:
- WATER BALOON SLINGSHOTS: Potential for eye and choking injuries.
- LAWN DARTS: Potential for blunt impact injury.
- LOW RIDING WHEELED TOYS (BIG WHEELS & OTHER PLASTIC TRICYCLES): Potential for fall, head and impact injuries.
- BACKYARD SWIMMING POOLS (ABOVE AND INGROUND): Potential for drowning.
- ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE (ATV): Potential for a head, bone, and other impact injuries.
- TOYS WITH SMALL PARTS: Potential for choking injuries.
- SHALLOW WATER: BABY POOLS, GARDEN BUCKETS, POOL COVERS: Potential for drowning.
- BACKYARD WATER SLIDES: Potential for neck, spine, head and other serious injuries.
- HIGH-POWERED WATER GUNS AND GUNS WITH PROJECTILE AMMUNITION: Potential for eye injuries.
- BOUNCE HOUSES AND BACKYARD TRAMPOLINES: Potential for blunt impact injuries.
Recovering compensation after an injury from a defective product
If your child was injured due to a defective or unsafe toy, contact the personal injury attorneys at Berger and Green today at 412-661-1400. You and your child may be entitled to compensation.
W.A.T.C.H., “W.A.T.C.H. Releases Its 2018 Summer Safety Report For Parents and Caregivers”