The consumer safety group, World Against Toys Causing Harm, also known as W.A.T.C.H., has released their list of the “Top 10 Summer Safety Traps” for 2021.
These “Traps” are either activities or toys that could potentially be harmful to children.
According to reports from W.A.T.C.H., almost all children deaths resulting from an injury occur in the summer months. Emergency rooms treat roughly 2.5 million injured children in the summer.
Their reports also showed that in 2020 and early 2021, there was an increase in emergency department visits due to trampoline and bicycle injuries.
W.A.T.C.H.’s complete list of “Top 10 Summer Safety Traps” for 2021.
- Tik Tok Trend: High Powered Magnets: Potential for damage to intestinal tissue, serious infections, life-long digestive conditions or death if high-powered magnets are ingested.
- Adult Exercise Equipment: Potential for abrasions, fractures, or death
- Diving into Shallow Water: Potential for neck, spine, head and other life-threatening injuries
- Fireworks and Sparklers: Potential for serious eye and hand injuries, burns and death.
- All-Terrain Vehicles and Recalls (ATV): Potential for a head, bone and other impact injuries.
- Scooters, Skateboards and Hoverboards: Potential for fall, head and impact injuries.
- More Pools, Fewer Lifeguards: Potential for drowning.
- Use Helmets with Bikes: Potential for head and impact injuries.
- Playground Entanglement: Potential for strangulation, injury and bodily harm.
- Backyard Trampolines: Potential for blunt impact injuries.
It is important to keep in mind this is just one groups finding of potentially dangerous activities for children this summer.
Help keep children safe this summer by always supervising and choosing appropriate activities for their age.
Recovering compensation after an injury from a defective product
If your child was injured due to a defective or unsafe toy, contact the personal injury attorneys at Berger and Green today at 412-661-1400. You and your child may be entitled to compensation.