Family of woman sues after fire claims her life

The family of a 22-year-old college student, who died while attending school in another east coast state, has learned that firsthand. The young woman died when she was trapped in a fire that took place at the house where she lived. Though the other occupants of the building made it out—some with serious injuries—she did not make it out of her attic room. She died of smoke inhalation from the fire that blocked her exit.

Her family recently made it known that they plan to file a wrongful death lawsuit in conjunction with her death. In it they plan to allege that the brokers and landlord rented an illegal apartment to the deceased. In addition, it had a faulty fire alarm system and did not have two means of egress. The woman’s family believes that the defendants should have known about the issues.

Owners of property have a duty to operate and manage the property in a way that does not place people in harm’s way. When a property owner is negligent and fairs to do this a lawsuit such as this one may be filed.

Source: The Boston Globe, “Family of BU student killed in fire prepares lawsuit,” Jenn Abelson, Aug. 20, 2014